Subject: [huml] This month's TC meeting minutes

Please excuse me if you get this twice, or more but, still, for some
reason, even when I fixed the typos in the address, it still did not
appear to go through even right after I sent it yet again. I am
endeavoring to get the webpage updated before I get swept up in a
week of meetings.

Here are the minutes for this month's meeting:

Here are the TC Minutes for this month.

January 22, 2002

Teleconference meeting of the OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee.

USA Toll Free Number: 888-576-9014
USA Toll Number: +1-773-756-0201

Roll Call:
Voting Members:

James Landrum
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
Rex Brooks
Rob Nixon

Non-voting participants

Sylvia Candelaria de Ram

Minutes taken by TC Secretary Rex Brooks

Meeting convened12:05 p.m. Eastern Time

Previous meeting minutes accepted.

This meeting was on our normally scheduled third Wednesday of the Month.

We did not have a quorum.

As usual, some of these items were actually discussed in a different
sequence from the posted agenda, but it is handier to summarize these
discussions by using the posted agenda.

Old Business:

The first item of business was a review of the Requirements Document
revision, on which Rex is continuing to work.

He reported that he was undecided about recommending a specfic
procedure that requires some amount of demonstrated work, such as a
sample implementation or well-described use-case, in order to add an
element. Requiring a sample implementation seems too rigorous, but
the procedure needs to be made non-trivial.

However, until a recommendation on that is pulled together, Rex said
he would initiate and manintain an Issues List such as we used to
formalize discussions and decisions on the Primary Base Schema to
focus on the revision of the Requirements Document as we proceed. In
particular, such an Issues List addresses concerns for deleting
elements as well as making editorial changes. Members are encouraged
to submit issues once this has been set up. We established a new due
date for the Revision of April 30, 2003.

The second item on the agenda was a brief discussion of a new,
unified format for Mission Statements in Subcommittees.

It was generally accepted that, based on surveys of other
subcommittees and standards groups, that these statements should
include three components:

Mission Statement: concrete and fairly short summarizing the charter
of the subcommittee.

Values Statement: summation of the intended values and benefits the
subcommittee is promoting.

Goals and Objectives Statement: fairly specific enumeration of long
term aims to be met by deliverables with milestone target dates for
producing these deliverables,

The third item on the agenda was a discussion of the reports on work
of the subcommittees.

Sylvia asked why the Human Physical Characteristics Description
Markup Language needed to be so long and involved. It was explained
as a way to distinguish the scope of the language from Biometrics and
Medical vocabularies while maintaining its usability in both Identity
Enhancement uses and in VR-AI uses.

Ranjeeth gave a brief chronicle of the discussions by Karl and the
e-Gov TC which proceeded the decision to rename the Diplomatic
Communications Subcommittee. It is now the Conflict Resolution
Subcommittee, which is a somewhat broader scope, but which allows the
vocabulary to be made available for Diplomatic uses without confusion
about which TC "owns" the domain.

VR-AI is maintained as is.

The fourth item on the agenda was a discussion of reports on informal
liaisons with other TCs.

Ranjeeth reported that e-Gov was focusing on services, best
practicies and sublanguages subcommittee. Sylvia requested a
clarification of the focus of this TC in terms of whether it was
concentrating on interpersonal, intrapersonal, intergroup or
intrapersonal aspects of communication. Ranjeeth said that all of
them as well as combinatins were being included. It was noted that
the Semiotic Processor could used to delineate these.

James noted that his expertise could be helpful in the area of
language interpretation and translation with particular emphasis on
cultural influences. Various examples of how cultures have different
gestural lexicons for similar movements, such as nodding v. head
shaking for indicating agreement or disagreement. Another case with
great complexities is India, where written communications in
government are in English, despite the fact that there are 14
different official languages and 35 distinct regional languages in
use. The point of these examples is that we need, where possible, to
draw upon members of cultures to build descriptions of those cultures.

Rex reported that next week is the final face-to-face meetings that
will culminate in the release of the Web Services for Remote Portlets
specification v1.0. This effort will have taken a bit longer than a
year, will have seen the appropriate WSIA-specific issues included in
the limited, but very concrete scope of the specfication, which has
both narrowed down its specificity to what amounts to a Protocol and
API while greatly expanding the sheer bulk of the document and the
detail with which it addresses the myriad processes and procedures
that have been codified.

Over the course of this year, the actual name of what web services
are for this specification has evolved to become Portlet, a specific
collection of data and/or presentation information for that data. The
point was made that this evolution exhibits how a process over time
can go in unexpected directions.

Rex also reported that the Web 3D Consortium is entering the final
phase of reviews before submitting the next version of the ISO
standard previously named VRML, which is a componentized
specification presented in XML format, and named X3D.

The fifth item on the agenda was a report on the preparations for
presenting the brief description of HumanML in a paper at the CIDOC
conference in March.

It was noted that the paper had been accepted for presentation. It
was with relief that we learned that James Landrum will be able to
make the presentation.

We noted that this paper is significant because it is the first
actual scholarly paper presented on HumanML. Sylvia and James will do
the majority of the work and represent us at the conference in
Washington D.C.

Rex volunteered to help prepare the paper with a powerpoint slideshow
to accompany the paper. This will make use of the material on the
Humanmarkup.org, Inc. website, and some iconic diagrams of how
HumanML can work.

The paper will be comprised of an introduction, a very brief history
of the HumanMarkup project to date, and an explanation of the purpose
and scope of HumanML.

We can also use the facial expression animation from Rex's website
and the full body animation from Rob which depicts a figure slipping
on a smooth surface and quickly recovering her balance. These two
animations demonstrate the two aspects of physical expression HumanML
will provide a standard language to interpret and produce in VR.

It was noted that Sylvia has a concurrent Python conference in D.C.
and, depending on the scheduling will participate as she can.

The sixth item on the agenda was to have those involved report on the
progress toward sample implementations.

James said that the Native Dancer Project was being broken down into
modular sections, at which point it could be determined where HumanML
PBS would fit. It was deemed most likely that HumanML PBS could be
useful in the game in creating the gestural movements of dance and
facial expressions where those gestures and expressions could be
tokenized to represent specific emotions, associated messages and
moods.

Rex reported that he has finished his initial learning phase with
Python for creating the Chat Application in Java, C++ and Python, has
established that the Java and C++ classes produced from the PBS by
XMLSPY are quite useable, and that the actual work of organizing and
coding will begin when the WSIA meetings next week are finished. He
said that for the first versions, he would not use Java3D, but down
the road would try to include the DANA interface and Java3D.

Sylvia has done some preliminary work on the Semiotic Processor,
establishing that it will work, but has not had the time to work more
on it due to extensive traveling over the Holidays. She configuring a
Linux installation on her computer which will allow us to test on all
major platforms and will renew her efforts soon. A rough version may
be ready by CIDOC, but preparing for CIDOC and her own work with
Python have priority.

New Business:

Rex has indicated that he will work on a brief history of the
HumanMarkup Project.

Sylvia asked if we could enlist aid from Manos specifically in his
material on how to translate HumanML PBS into RDF as well his
experiences with Topic Maps TCs and UI TC. It will looked into.

For next month's agenda we will attempt to have Mission Statements
for our Subcommittees.

We also have to report our membership to OASIS for inclusion in the
updated structure being built by Kavi.com. Rex said he would work on
that.

We finished at the top of the hour and adjourned.
--
Rex Brooks
Starbourne Communications Design