Subject: [huml] Re: [huml-comment] Conflict Interpretation - Initial Prototypeand Use Case

Ahhh....cool, Ranjeeth,

Rather than noodle approach or app design, I think it is wiser to see
if I understand your objective correctly. (However, one word to the
display design: cellpadding.)

Is this an attempt to pull a model (interpretation) of a given
conflict from a written statement (communique-communication)?

If that is close to correct, then I think that should be a bit more
clear. I think this is a good way to use the PBS, and I think it will
give us two kinds of information.

1. How people express strong feelings/belief.

2. How others interpret those expressions.

As such, it would actually be an excellent way to discover how to
proceed with this tool, particularly by building a database of the
correlations between statements (and the vocabularies used) and
interpretations (and the vocabularies used). That could be used as a
kind of guide for learning how these concepts get aligned by real
people out in the world.

There are a couple of things I think need to better understood by
potential participants.

The word communique carries connotations I have discussed before. I
think a neutral term is better, like expression or statement.

The sample communique/expression/statement should either be included
in a sample filled form, and/or two samples should be given--this one
and another, perhaps taken from history, such as an early statement
by Alabama Gov. George Wallace about segregation--so that it is clear
that the samples are just samples, and not an indication of what
you/we want respondents to say or how to say it.

Regardless, it would be good to also make it clear that we will be
learning from our interpreters as well as from our
communiques/expressions/statements.

It would probably be a good idea to allow participants to optionally
self-describe their own backgrounds, and where they live, so we can
associate a bit more context with their expressions/statements,
which, as long as it is voluntary, will tell us a bit of social,
economic and cultural information.

The more I think about it, the better this whole idea works for me
because we are not introducing any particular rubrics or frameworks
by which anyone could purposely skew or slant the results obtained
because we are learning about the process as much or more than about
the participants beliefs, intents, etc., or analytical beliefs,
intents, etc.

In fact, recruiting interpretators could also recruit members. (Is
"Interpretator" a known word or one constructed from Interpretative?
I don't find it in my dictionary, but that doesn't mean anything
other than that it just isn't in Webster's Ninth New Collegiate
Dictionary, of which there is now a tenth in any event.)

Last note: It should also be possible to learn about conflicts as
close to home as urban neighborhood gang turf wars (bloods, crips,
drive-bys) or suburban conflicts over late-night barking dogs and
uncollected trash left curbside as well as historical
political/religious conflicts such as the Israeli- Palestinian
Dispute.

I think this is great idea, Ranjeeth, and will go a long way toward
gaining us credibility for having the common sense to frame the
concept in the context of gathering information about how to deal
with conflicts by understanding them. It also has the great virtue of
giving us an unoffensive response to groups who will tell us that
"Everybody knows...Saddam has these weapons...the Palestinian people
have endured decades of Israeli Occupation...there can be no
negotiations with Terrorists...they do our homies, what they
expec'?..." To which we can "Well, if everybody knows it, you
wouldn't mind just writing it down for us, would you? ...just so we
can be SURE we understand, right?"

Pretty tough to say no to that, and once ya got 'em talkin' they
ain't shootin' are they?

Good work,
Rex

P.S. Apart from your own goals for developing this, in the context of
the Conflict Resolution in e-Gov/Diplomatic applications, I think it
would also be a good tool for finding out how other folks out there
would construct their own tags by asking, say, post grad psych
Masters candidates to mark up a set of
communiques/expressions/statements with their own tags--which also
fits into the LMNL framework of overlapping non-hierarchical
vocabularies. Then you the the Doctoral candidates to analyze that
for their disserations. Fiendish, eh?