Mail Index message

Subject: [huml] RE: LMNL toolkit for HumanML

We've never created a schema derived from the primary base.
In phase 0, we discussed a lot of alternatives for approaching
problems of human communication and miscommunication.  One
of those was codelists for emotional states.  John already
had a set for attitudes from other work he had done, and
provided them as samples.  Other folks made up some codelists
and we had a set of identified emoticons.  Most of that work
is lost in the archives somewhere. :-)

But yes, anyone could sit down and derive a set of concrete
types from the primary base and create their own codelists.
Yes, those can be combined in a free form way just as music
can have style and a vocabulary of notes and harmonizations
that can be combined free form or according to strict genre
rules.

As we both know, XML Schema abstract types don't do a lot
so they are *primarily* a set of categories.  Yes, a
person could use a set of derived codelists in a freeform
way to annotate an existing text.  One could build that
all the way up to a genre if they wished.  I did a lot
of research into it (which is why all of the semiotics
references started creeping into my XML-Dev email) and
from the simplest emoticon to the most complex genre,
it's all just markup (turtles from top to bottom). I
tend to think of it as general midi for text (instructions to
a machine to render a named instrument using whatever
that sound card supports).

It would definitely take blogs to a new level because
one could enter the markup directly, or use an interpreter
to do the annotation.  Of course, everything of interest
to another human is in the rendering/interpretation. ;-)

While it is possible to put a lot of AI and other interpretive
machinery behind it, a basic annotation system is a simple
place to start and a lot of fun given a freely downloadable
rendering avatar system.  That is where H-Anim and X3D come
in.  It's all XML of course, and XSLT could drive it.  We
can discuss XSLT as a means to achieve Shannon selectors
if you like.

len