Mail Index message

Subject: [huml] Use Case Description - Paper and Slide Show

Hi guys,

Here is my addition to the paper.  Thanks for the patience, and I'll work
with you and Sylvia, and the others, to modify the content as needed to fit
within the paper and presentation in the next couple of days.

I had actually written up a more extensive description for the paper, but
after re-reading the paper as it stands, I decided to scrap most of it--the
essence of what I had to say is below, and thought it best not to dilute the
scope of the paper any further.  I was trying to accommodate more Conflict
Resolution stuff for the State Dept's e-Diplomacy Initiative, but I'll do
that separately.  They wanted to have a glipse of our paper, as fuel for an
upcoming presentation they might want us to give in the next month or two.
I could use my more extensive write-up for that purpose specifically.

Rob:  I've used what you've given me, and it comes out pretty nicely.  If
you get a chance to give me a replacement for slide 5, that would be cool,
but what we have works perfectly fine and is really nice for the CIDOC
conference.       For the e-Diplomacy write up however, I could still use
the slides that you are going to be preparing for me.  I definitely
appreciate this help Rob.

I. CONFLICT RESOLUTION APPLICATIONS USE CASE PAPER (Section 4.1???)
----
A source of conflict stems from different interpretations of the same event,
and the lack of tools to adequately convey these differences.  Different
interpretations result from the distinct mindsets and focus points of each
party.  We all are familiar with various political scenarios in which the
same message is interpreted in completely different ways.  While we
acknowledge this fully, we have not successfully developed systems to
precisely capture and compare these differences.

What conflict resolution applications based on HumanML can do is provide a
precise vocabulary for annotating and embedding tacit communication
characteristics and interpretation within a document.  This can include
emotions, body languages, and perceived intent.  This can go a long way in
more clearly showing the differences in the interpretation and perspective.

II. SLIDE SHOW
-----
1)
Interpretor A is listening to a monologue by a speaker.

2)
He is paying attention to additional contextual information along many
channels. This could be in the form of the body language, tone of voice, and
emotional interpretation.  Additionally, it would manifest in the unique
perspective of the interpretor himself.

3)
We now see another interpretor, Interpretor B, listening to the
presentation.

4)
He is also listening along these same channels.  However, he is paying
attention to a completely different set of characteristics, and is coming
from a completely different perspective.

5)
We are tracking the different interpretations made.  By doing so, we are
making explicit what normally would be normally be tacit information.
Differing perspectives could be laid out, compared, and annotated
separately, or together.

6)
This is a screenshot representing how an HTML interface might look like for
such markup.
(NOTE: this is taken from the slide that currently exists)

----
NOTE:  Slides 3) and 4) could be eliminated if not enough time.

----
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga

---