Mail Index message

Subject: RE: [huml] Huml vs. HumanML

FWIW:  I haven't reviewed this paper, but a point to make about applicability:

o  The focus of the HumanML primary schema design was to
isolate and categorize aspects of human communication, as process
and as state of the communicators (internally and externally) and
the environment in which they communicate.  For example, a semiote
has internal and external aspects that influence the semiotes ability
to communication intensionally, and it operates within a semiotic
environment that also has influence over different semiotes attempting
to communicate.

At one point, I posted a diagram that lays out
these relationships.  This looks like high level stuff, but it
expresses the important aspect of communicating entities within
a dynamic environment which directs entities and which entities
direct.  This is the essence of feedback-mediated evolution.  This
process of evolution is key to the improvement of the process of
communication and self-directed adaptation.  Modification of self
and environment through exchange of signs is THE key idea.  HumanML
is a tool for improving that process, not a tool for external
control.

o  The schema categories are relatively independent of each other.
This enables a derivative schema to derive element types from only
the categories needed by that schemea and to create relationships
that express the particular theory of human communication being
schematized.  The HumanML project has a very keen interest in
testing and improving the primary categories.

This can enable HumanML language families to be very broad and
even to conflict among themselves as to the implications of the
theories so expressed.  However, given the focus on observable
aspects of communication, it is expected that results of observations
can be fed back to the schema designers to improve their
results and over time, some theories will converge.  Psychological
theories are a good example where in our research, we found that
the theories diverged signficantly.  In that sense, the creation
of a HumanML derived schema is the codification of a theory.

There is an old saying in the markup community:  a DTD is a
theory about a document.  A HumanML schema is a theory about
human communication.

len

From: Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga [mailto:rkthunga@interposting.com]

Hi Guys,

Just a few comments about the paper--although I'm not looking at the final
version on FTP (Sylvia's folder?).

1)
HumanML: formal name of language.

huml (lowercase):  namespace prefix and name of discussion list

Huml (uppercase):  root element of Primary Base Schema

Rex and I chatted about this Sunday, and we realized that we haven't been
making clear this distinction in the last several months--which we should
have.  I guess it's just tunnel vision on our parts.  If you guys don't get
time to do it, that's absolutely fine, but a suggestion is to change the
references from huml/HuML to HumanML, just so we are as internally
consistent as possible.

2)
Another thing Sylvia I believe--Psychology is certainly a disciple for
applicability for HumanML--you had exclamation points around it with my name
I believe? ;)

3)
A final issue is the formatting for some of the text is appearing off the
page--it may be just my version of Open Office or something.

The paper/presentation should be really nice!  Definitely looking forward to
seeing the final version.