huml-chair message

Subject: Crisis Management Publications

Title: Traumatic Stress Bookstore

PUBLICATIONS OF THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF EXPERTS IN TRAUMATIC STRESS
February 11, 2005

20% DISCOUNT FOR ORDERS OVER 25 BOOKS

A PRACTICAL GUIDE FOR CRISIS RESPONSE IN OUR SCHOOLS: FIFTH EDITION

A NATIONAL STANDARD FOR RESPONDING TO SCHOOL-BASED CRISES

School crisis response can no longer be delegated solely to members of a School Crisis Response Team. Today, crisis management is the responsibility of all educators. This dramatically expanded publication provides a structure and process for effectively managing the wide spectrum of school-based crises. It is an invaluable resource in preparation for, and during, actual crisis situations and continues to serve as a meaningful standard for our nation's schools.

A Practical Guide for Crisis Response in Our Schools conveys critical information to assist schools in responding effectively to “everyday crises” as well as school-based disasters. It is an invaluable resource for administrators, support personnel and faculty.

By reaching our school families early with a comprehensive Crisis Response Plan, we can potentially prevent the acute difficulties of today from becoming the chronic problems of tomorrow.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
www.CRISISINFO.org

A PRACTICAL GUIDE FOR UNIVERSITY CRISIS RESPONSE

A NATIONAL STANDARD FOR RESPONDING TO UNIVERSITY-BASED CRISES

A Practical Guide for University Crisis Response provides a structure and process for effectively managing the wide spectrum of university-based crises - from the seemingly mundane to the most severe. It is an invaluable resource in preparation for, and during, actual crisis situations and serves as a meaningful standard for our nation’s colleges and universities. This guide recognizes that crisis response cannot be delegated solely to administrators and members of the Crisis Response Team. Effective crisis management is the responsibility of all university personnel.

This publication introduces and incorporates a practical and effective strategy for addressing the emotional needs of people during traumatic events, Acute Traumatic Stress Management (ATSM). ATSM does not require caregivers to be mental health practitioners. Rather, ATSM can empower all university personnel by providing a "road map" to keep people functioning and mitigate long-term emotional suffering.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
www.CRISISINFO.org

A NEW AUDIOBOOK PRESENTATION
ON ONE COMPACT DISC

Adversity is a powerful force ...
a force that can disable us, or propel us
to achieve beyond our dreams.

Dr. Mark Lerner

Traumatic events are a part of life. In the same way that we rush to address our physical needs, we must also address our emotional needs.

I developed this audio book to help you—while you’re living through a traumatic experience. This program provides practical information that will ease your pain, keep you functioning and lessen the likelihood of long-term emotional suffering. Most importantly, it will help you to see the opportunities that a crisis can bring.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
www.CRISISINFO.org

COMPREHENSIVE ACUTE TRAUMATIC STRESS MANAGEMENT

ADDRESSING THE EMERGENT PSYCHOLOGICAL NEEDS OF INDIVIDUALS, GROUPS AND ORGANIZATIONS BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER A TRAUMATIC EVENT.

ATSM offers “practical tools” for addressing the wide spectrum of traumatic experiences—from mild to the most severe. It is a goal-directed process delivered within the framework of a facilitative or helping attitudinal climate. ATSM aims to “jump-start” an individual’s coping and problem-solving abilities. It seeks to stabilize acute symptoms of traumatic stress and stimulate healthy, adaptive functioning. Finally, ATSM may increase the likelihood of an individual pursuing mental health intervention, if need be, in the future.

ATSM offers techniques for connecting with particularly challenging, emotionally distraught, individuals. It helps us to help others when time is limited and to know what to say when we are at a loss for words. It helps us while intervening with diverse populations such as children, sexual assault victims, potentially violent and substance-involved individuals, as well as depressed and potentially suicidal people. It provides a strategy to support grieving individuals and offers an application to address serious injury/death notification. Finally, ATSM addresses our own responses during a crisis.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
www.CRISISINFO.org

THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF EXPERTS
IN TRAUMATIC STRESS

FOR SURVIVORS OF TRAUMATIC EVENTS AND THOSE WHO CARE FOR THEM

The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress is a multidisciplinary network of professionals committed to the advancement of intervention for survivors of trauma. The Academy's international membership includes individuals from over 200 professions in the health-related fields, emergency services, criminal justice, forensics, law, business and education. With Members in every state of the United States and over 55 foreign countries, the Academy is now the largest organization of its kind in the world. For information about Membership, the International Registry, the Academy's Board Certification Programs in Traumatic Stress Specialties, Certification in Acute Traumatic Stress Management (ATSM), the Diplomate Credential, Fellowship and other benefits of Membership visit the Academy online at http://www.crisisinfo.org.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
www.CRISISINFO.org

ABOUT THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF EXPERTS IN TRAUMATIC STRESS

Member

Members must hold a Doctorate in their field of expertise or hold a Masters Degree and have a minimum of three (3) years experience working with survivors of traumatic events. The Executive Officers reserve the right to grant membership to an individual who does not meet the aforementioned criteria, but who has made important contributions to the field or to the Academy.

Associate Member

This non-doctoral level of membership is reserved for individuals who have at least two (2) years experience working with survivors of traumatic events. Associate Members are afforded all benefits of membership with the exception of qualifying for the Diplomate credential. However, qualified Associate Members may apply for other Academy certifications.

Diplomate

Members of the Academy may apply for the designation Board Certified Expert in Traumatic Stress --Diplomate, American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress.

To achieve this credential, a comprehensive application and examination, along with supporting documentation, are utilized in concert to validate a member's experience in working with survivors of traumatic events, knowledge of the literature and level of education. The Diplomate credential establishes a much needed standard for professionals, across disciplines, who regularly work with survivors of traumatic events. It is the aim of the Academy to have all of our members achieve Diplomate status.

Fellow

Fellowship is the highest honor the Academy can bestow upon a member. This designation is awarded to Diplomates who have made significant contributions to the field and to the Academy.

Certification Programs in Traumatic Stress Specialties

The Academy offers additional Board Certification programs in traumatic stress specialties. The following is a list of the programs:

Board Certification in Forensic Traumatology™
Board Certification in Emergency Crisis Response™
Board Certification in Motor Vehicle Trauma™
Board Certification in Disability Trauma™
Board Certification in Pain Management™
Board Certification in Illness Trauma™
Board Certification in Bereavement Trauma™
Board Certification in Domestic Violence™
Board Certification in Sexual Abuse™
Board Certification in Rape Trauma™
Board Certification in Stress Management™
Board Certification in School Crisis Response™

Academy members will be afforded the opportunity to demonstrate their expertise by virtue of the knowledge, experience and education specific to an area of specialization.

American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress · 368 Veterans Memorial Highway · Commack, NY 11725