Subject: Re: Editorial Feedback needed

Title: Re: Editorial Feedback needed
How about: Let's ask OASIS what they prefer?

 I'm about as non-denominational as you get, but everything that comes to me for inclusion in the website is gonna get transformed back into text-only and reformated to fit whatever OASIS wants unless it is already in said form, so that's the deal as far as I'm concerned. So before you expend too much effort, some footwork seems advisable. Tomorrow is my HumanMarkup Day, and as usual, I'm behind on a bunch of reading and thinking and replying, and my own deliverables are up soon and I really want to get that behind me as well, so if you guys can get the word from OASIS, fine, or I will ask tomorrow late afternoon, which means I won't have an answer untilThursday and won't be doing anything until Saturday or Sunday.

My attempt to get Dr. Paul Prueitt re-engaged only got me saddled with reading his work, selecting what I think we need to use, asking permissionto use said work, and then crossing all the Ts and dotting all the eyes for attribution and copyright info for both him and OASIS, and that was NOT what I had in mind. So, I'm kinda cross and crosseyed both right now at the prospect of much extra work, but I'll get over it.

At 4:15 PM -0400 9/25/01, Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga wrote:

Using transformed HTML seems to make sense.  I think that OASIS's web server has an XML parser that could be used to do server side transforms, but perhaps OASIS' webmaster (Sharon Burbine) could provide us more information on what is available.

I personally am not a big fan of .pdf, because it is a larger file size and not as accessible as HTML.  However, use your best discretion in this regard, including what you feel should get converted first.

Also, if you could post the formal duties as editor (so it is clear to everyone) that would be great.  Again, it is fairly inclusive, and at some point in the near future, you can determine how you'd like to distribute the workload.  This will probably be after you get a chance to standarize the document formats.

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
rkthunga@humanmarkup.org

----- Original Message -----
From: Kurt Cagle
To: humanmarkup@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 3:15 PM
Subject: Editorial Feedback needed

Just a general note. In my capacity as Editor, I've begun to move all of our
core documents out of raw text and into XML, using the DocBook Schema. I
have been thinking     of XSL stylesheets to better
style the documents, but also recognize that not all browser (notable
Netscape 4.x) recognize XSL styled XML. What seems most reasonable in that
regard is to create the documents, then perform a translation to HTML for
those that don't currently have XSLT. I'm also looking at getting a XSL-FO
to PDF converter, but that will be down the line. Does anyone have any
comments, or preferences as to which docs to get converted first?

-- Kurt Cagle