Subject: [humanmarkup] Re: [humanmarkup-comment] HumanML Language ComponentsTasks

Title: Re: [humanmarkup-comment] HumanML Language Components
Len,

Sorry. I am political, and I tend to shoot from the hip at times. I think a patent policy is necessary, I even think that there is room for *discussion* of a RAND like policy, but I get very worked up when I see something that looks like a power-grab, regardless of motivations. Additionally, I think that it is worth making an issue of here, although I'll get off my high horse after this post. I don't want to see a policy or standard that I helped develop become a marketing tool for some company that would essentially go against the very spirit of what was intended in the first place. Here's a very simple point -- suppose that, as RAND allowed, prior art essentially allowed Microsoft to claim XSLT or XML Schema. Microsoft had very early implementations of both. Does this mean that we as the HumanML committee would be required to license these technologies? Or that anyone who used HumanML would be required to license the core technologies from Microsoft? If Microsoft then pushed changes into those standards, would we be required to support them or face getting sued?

Nowhere in the policy is the term Reasonable spelled out. What's reasonable? Licensing fees in the thousands or even millions of dollars? The inability to produce a product because of licensing entanglements? This is important because EVERYTHING that we are doing here are based upon W3C standards in some form or another.

I'm not trying to provoke an argument here, but in many respects, this is perhaps one of THE most portentious events in the history of the W3C, and it goes well beyond XML-DEV. As more and more standards are encoded in XML (and why wouldn't they be -- it's become a universal language) the more that this issue becomes significant, not just for a few developers, but for everyone who uses the Internet.

-- Kurt
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 12:19 PM

Can we leave this issue on the XML-Dev list?  I am tired from having to defend it there
and don't want to do it here.   They are doing something very necessary.   Even here,
we have at least three instances of people writing to tell us about their patents.  It
is best not to respond since AFAIK, OASIS doesn't have a policy.