Subject: Re: [humanmarkup] TC Business for this week-Oct. 21-27

Item 1: Yay
Item 2: Yay

I motion that we form a "Subcommittee for developing a Physical Markup Language as a subset of the Human Markup Language, to be chaired by Sudhakar Gorti"

I motion that we "establish official liaisons to the  OASIS Topic Maps Published Subjects TC and the OASIS Web Services Component Model TC."

-Rob Nixon

-------

Rex Brooks wrote:

Hi Everyone,

The TC website has been updated after our last meeting, Oct. 17. In
that meeting we only had a quorum by extending voting privileges to
Henrik Brameus, a prospective member whose 60 days period will pass
Oct. 23. So the decisions made in that meeting need to be confirmed.
The first decision was to allow motions, debate and votes to be
conducted on this list, and the first thing we need to do is to
confirm that decision.

As Secretary I record the votes, so I would like to ask for a formal
vote to confirm the decision to allow the TC to conduct business
through this list.

This is Item 1, so please reply to this post,  indicating yay or nay,
yes or no to Item 1.

The minutes are posted, and have also been sent to this list, so Item
2 is to approve or disapprove the remainder of the decisions
contained in the minutes, all of which were voted affirmative without
dissent.

Please indicate yay or nay, yes or no to Item 2, as well.

That will take care of these items of business and get us caught up officially.

I suggest that subsequent to receiving these votes and announcing the
result, we should immediately take up the issue of establishing a
Subcommittee for developing a Physical Markup Language as a subset of
the Human Markup Language, to be chaired by Sudhakar Gorti according
to his proposal and suggested timelines. For that we need a formal
motion, a second and then an acceptable period of discussion and
debate followed by a vote. I would appreciate it if I did not have to
draft the motion.

Also, just so you know, it is usually a fairly standard practice that
the sitting officers, the chair and secretary in particular, do not
make motions themselves, although they are generally allowed to voice
their own opinions without prejudice. That is a fairly
straightforward precaution against someone using their official
position to unduly sway or influence committee decisions.

So I am hoping that this list receives a motion for establishing a
Physical Markup Language Subcommittee with Sudhakar Gorti as the
chair.

To continue making some progress with our work, I suggest that
someone also make a formal motion to establish official liaisons to
the  OASIS Topic Maps Published Subjects TC and the OASIS Web
Services Component Model TC.

Those are two separate motions, unless we want to discuss, debate,
and vote on them together, which requires a motion to merge--too
much bother IMHO, unless you all want to allow multiple motions, but,
if you haven't been through procedural point-of-order harangues, take
my word for it, motions to merge and divide issues go on forever and
everyone always forgets the original motions by the time the dust
settles. So a word to the wise: it may seem like revisiting the
department of redundancy department, but it saves headaches to just
keep motions separate with one action per motion.

And lastly I would really appreciate it if someone would do a bit of
research on the OASIS site, and maybe make some inquiries about
setting up a Joint Committee of  the HumanMarkup, Topic Maps
Published Subjects and Web Services Component Model TCs.

Almost all of this stuff is aimed at making things easier in the long
run, even if it is a pain in the carcass right now.