Subject: [humanmarkup] PBS Nova Episode on Brain Research

If you didn't catch the episode of Nova tonight on the Brain Research
by Dr. Ramachandran on PBS. you should watch for it in the rerun
season because it was incredible. In particular for our purposes it
shows some of the key relationships between emotion and consciousness
in neural processing. As someone who works both visually and verbally
and sometimes has literal short circuits that occur when an
unintentionally emotional stimulus from one type of cognition
interrupts a concentrated working session using the other variety of
cognition and brain activity, it was an eye opener in that it showed
how the processing interruption happens and where in the brain it
occurs and some of the reasons why it occurs with such paralyzing
effects, which thankfully are short term. Having just had a series of
these disturbing instances due to some concentrated work of both
kinds impinging on each other, it was a relief to gain a little more
understanding of what's going on underneath that uncomfortable brain
freeze when I can't find words while I'm in visual mode or form
images when I'm in verbal mode for periods of time ranging from
minutes to hours.

But, phew! I just called it a short circuit because i couldn't think
of another way to describe it other than disorienting. When the
cortical lobes are trumped by the limbic system, you're toast till it
passes, or I am.

Fascinating,