Subject: [humanmarkup] TopicMaps Published Subjects TC Liaison/Joint Committee

HI Everyone,

I thought I would suggest that we form an official liaison between
our HumanMarkupTC and Topic Maps Published Subjects TC in order that
we ensure our respective work is compatible at the least and
well-integrated at best.

Also we in HumanMarkup need to be informed about how topic maps will
operate and whether the rules for establishing relationships between
topic areas will be hard and fast or more loose in terms of what is
allowable. We also need to understand what relationships actually
mean. What exactly is an association? How is it defined. How is it
established. When is it susceptible to being merged into a larger
category that includes topics formerly related only by association?

I would like to invite members of the topicmaps discussion to have a
look at our document: HM.frameworks which attempts to systematically
describe the ontological frameworks within which are contained
taxonomies we have gathered for use in HumanMarkup and that might
well be thought of as related topics suitable for mapping purposes.
That document can be found at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup/documents/HM.frameworks.txt

Please note that this document is text-only with no line breaks, in
order to facilitate later formatting for formal use, so it is best to
save it onto a local system and open it in a word processing program
for easier readability.

I am only subscribed to the topicmaps-comment list, and not
personally committed to joining the topicmaps TC, since I am very
busy with HumanMarkup and have planned to be personally involved in a
similar liaison task with the Web Services Component Model TC. I do
not wish to speak for anyone, but I have brought this proposal up
with a few individuals within our group, and it is not yet clear that
anyone will actually be able to step forward and undertake the task
of attempting to form an official liaison. I hope so, though, as I
consider the work involved with my own plans, I am acutely aware of
just how time consuming and difficult such a task can be. However, I
do think it is important.