Subject: [humanmarkup] Fwd: Institutional Scenario

Title: Fwd: Institutional Scenario
I thought it might be instructive for you all to see examples of the process by which the Web Services for Interactive Applications TC is going about the business of deriving the use-cases from which its formal Requirements Document will be written in April. This is the institutional scenario I formulated to add to the 8-9 business scenarios which all follow this basic format or Entities, Roles, Relationships, Objectives, Solutions.

It (the format template) comes straight out of the Rational Unified Process (with minor modifications) so you know it has big corporate bucks (IBM's) behind its use for the WSIA TC. If you want, I can modify it for our use, though I'm a bit burned out on that for the rest of the holiday weekend.

I do, however, offer it as a suggestion to all of you who are (even now) busy looking at your respective application areas in anticipation of submitting our requirements by March 15.  <no-so-facetious />

Seriously, this is just a reminder, we do need to collect our requirements. The current intense interest in Web Services is going to die down as all such hyped phenomena do, but the the facts on the ground will remain. The issues of who owns your personal profile information and gets to market it (you) or market to you using it, is OUR bailiwick, and it is an integral part of the entire Web Services, Interoperability development which is certainly going to heat up now that VisualStudio.Net has been released... ( though how anyone who has seen the html code MS products produce has to shudder at an even MORE dumb-is-better solution set, but there you have it. I haven't seen the output of .Net, though some fairly reliable people seem to think it's fine, so who really knows? I won't even tell you how much trouble it was to produce and deliver this set of scenarios cross platform, but it is possible, even if only just barely.

Sheesh@dammitall.com
Rex

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:04:16 -0800
To: wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
Subject: Institutional Scenario
Bcc:

Sorry I'm late with this,but here it is. I tired to keep it as simple as I could.

I am sending them via my Mac, so I have sent them in 3 forms--.doc, .htm, .txt. You should at least be able to read the .htm in a browser and the .txt in notepad if nothing else, but the .doc probably won't open in Word.

Institutional Scenario Document

WSIA Institutional Scenario: ADA Educational Studies

Version <1.0>

Revision History

Date

Version

Description

Author

<13/Feb/2002>

<1.0>

<ADA Educational Studies>

<Rex Brooks>

Table of Contents

1.	WSIA Scenario: Americans With Disabilities Act Educational Studies	1

1.1	Description	1

2.	Participants	1

2.1	Institutional Entity 1: Office of Congress Member, Representative Jane Doe of California Congressional District XX	1

2.1.1	Role	1

2.1.2	Relationships	1

2.1.3	Business Objectives	1

2.1.4	Solution Requirements	1

2.2	Institutional Entity 2: U.S. General Services Administration, Public Information Division	2

2.2.1	Role	2

2.2.2	Relationships	2

2.2.3	Business Objectives	2

2.2.4	Solution Requirements	2

Institutional Scenario Report:

<ADA Educational Studies>

1. WSIA Scenario: Americans With Disabilities Act Educational Studies

1.1 Description

The context of this Scenario is a request from some Entity, be it a Post Graduate Fellow conducting research, or an Agency of the Executive Branch, or a Congress Member's Office to the U.S. General Services Administration for information relating to some educational implementations of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

This represents an Institutional Scenario for Web Services, for which this Committee needs to make allowance because Web Services, per se, is by no means restricted to Commercial Business Applications. It might be wise to seek more than one such Scenario for our purposes as we focus in on formal Use-Cases from which to derive our Requirements.

2. Participants

For the purpose of this Scenario, the Entities will be fairly recognizable, but short of actual.

2.1 Institutional Entity 1: Office of Congress Member, Representative Jane Doe of California Congressional District XX

2.1.1 Role

In this case, the office of the Congress Member's Office, it will be acting on behalf of the Congress Member in her function of drafting legislation and will be seeking two kinds of information, at large public information and information specific to her congressional district.

2.1.2 Relationships

The Congress Member's Office has a standard relationship with the U.S. General Services Administration in relation to official requests for public information, subject to privileges and permissions pursuant to various laws and statutes relating to privacy of personal information.

2.1.3 Institutional Objectives

The Congress Member's Office requires information to aid in arguments to establish a new School for the Deaf in the Congress Member's Congressional District. This may require both public and private information. The rate of increase in the number of individuals qualifying for special education under the Americans With Disabilities needs to be documented, and the specific numbers of such individuals in the Congress Member's District and surrounding area serviced by Federally Funded Transportation Corridors and Service Providers, such as Public Highways and Railroad Routes must also be documented.

2.1.4 Solution Requirements

The Congress Member's Office needs complete, definitive information. If this requirement is in conflict with individual rights, a means needs to be found to reconcile these interests.

2.1.4.1 Functionality

A Web Service Application created to fill this need must be able to perform this reconciliation.

2.2 Institutional Entity 2: U.S. General Services Administration, Public Information Division

2.2.1 Role

In this case, the Public Information Division of the GSA needs automation that tells it whether the request is valid and if there are restraints on its ability to fill the request. Then it must conduct the search for the information, again in as automated a process as can be allowed. There is almost undoubtedly a need or requirement for a human functionary to pass final judgement on whether or not to forward the information once it has been collected.

2.2.2 Relationships

The relationships between the Entities involved in this transaction need to be formally stated and agreed to in the forms filed to initiate the transaction.

2.2.3 Institutional Objectives

The GSA has a mandate to fulfill in a lawful manner. However, beyond that, the application which the Institutions use to conduct this transaction and collect and transmit the information stipulated ought to deliver the information in the way requested, so a further set of requirements may be needed to be elucidated concerning the data model and formatting of the information.

2.2.4 Solution Requirements

The are three sets of requirements in the solution represented here and all must be addressed in a solution that is acceptable to all three, the Congress Member's Office, the GSA, and the members of the public whose personal information is being sought.

2.2.4.1 Functionality

There are several kinds of functionality that must be attended in this Scenario.

The functionality of the request mechanism sets the stage for the transaction and must be understood by all interested parties.

The functionality of information gathering must address the protocols of legal permissions, and standardized data models.

The functionality of delivering the information is an aspect that may, or may not be addressed by the Web Services Application designed to fill this need in this kind of Institutional Scenario. It can be as simple as a dataset or as complex as a specified Xform crafted for a customized legislative delivery page, portion of a page, table or set of tables, etc. The information may also be requested as the data for a specific chart or set of charts. The objective of making the justification for legislation a standardized procedure has obvious benefits, but also entails some drawbacks as well. Allowing for all of these possibilities appears to be consideration in deriving a viable use-case for either a business or institutional use-case.

OASIS WSIA Technical Committee

Requirements Document

  Version:           <1.0>

WSIA Scenario ADA Educational Studies

  Date:  <13/Feb/2002

<document identifier>

Confidential

OASIS WSIA Technical Committee, 2000

iii

Confidential

OASIS WSIA Technical Committee, 2000

2

WSIA_Institutional_Scenario.doc

Title: Use Case Report: <Use-Case Name>

Institutional Scenario Document

WSIA Institutional Scenario: ADA Educational Studies

Version <1.0>

Revision History

Date

Version

Description

Author

<13/Feb/2002>

<1.0>

<ADA Educational Studies>

<Rex Brooks>

Table of Contents

1. WSIA Scenario: Americans With Disabilities Act Educational Studies *

1.1 Description *

2. Participants *

2.1 Institutional Entity 1: Office of Congress Member, Representative Jane Doe of California Congressional District XX *

2.1.1 Role *

2.1.2 Relationships *

2.1.3 Business Objectives *

2.1.4 Solution Requirements *

[...]

  3. For the purpose of this Scenario, the Entities will be fairly recognizable, but short of actual.

    1. Institutional Entity 1: Office of Congress Member, Representative Jane Doe of California Congressional District XX
      1. Role
      2. In this case, the office of the Congress Member’s Office, it will be acting on behalf of the Congress Member in her function of drafting legislation and will be seeking two kinds of information, at large public information and information specific to her congressional district.

      3. Relationships
      4. The Congress Member’s Office has a standard relationship with the U.S. General Services Administration in relation to official requests for public information, subject to privileges and permissions pursuant to various laws and statutes relating to privacy of personal information.

      5. Institutional Objectives
      6. The Congress Member’s Office requires information to aid in arguments to establish a new School for the Deaf in the Congress Member’s Congressional District. This may require both public and private information. The rate of increase in the number of individuals qualifying for special education under the Americans With Disabilities needs to be documented, and the specific numbers of such individuals in the Congress Member’s District and surrounding area serviced by Federally Funded Transportation Corridors and Service Providers, such as Public Highways and Railroad Routes must also be documented.

      7. Solution Requirements
      8. The Congress Member’s Office needs complete, definitive information. If this requirement is in conflict with individual rights, a means needs to be found to reconcile these interests.

        1. Functionality

      A Web Service Application created to fill this need must be able to perform this reconciliation.

    2. Institutional Entity 2: U.S. General Services Administration, Public Information Division
    3.

      1. Role
      2. In this case, the Public Information Division of the GSA needs automation that tells it whether the request is valid and if there are restraints on its ability to fill the request. Then it must conduct the search for the information, again in as automated a process as can be allowed. There is almost undoubtedly a need or requirement for a human functionary to pass final judgement on whether or not to forward the information once it has been collected.

      3. Relationships
      4. The relationships between the Entities involved in this transaction need to be formally stated and agreed to in the forms filed to initiate the transaction.

      5. Institutional Objectives
      6. The GSA has a mandate to fulfill in a lawful manner. However, beyond that, the application which the Institutions use to conduct this transaction and collect and transmit the information stipulated ought to deliver the information in the way requested, so a further set of requirements may be needed to be elucidated concerning the data model and formatting of the information.

      7. Solution Requirements
      8. The are three sets of requirements in the solution represented here and all must be addressed in a solution that is acceptable to all three, the Congress Member’s Office, the GSA, and the members of the public whose personal information is being sought.