Subject: [humanmarkup] February HumanMarkup TC Meeting Minutes

Title: February HumanMarkup TC Meeting Minutes
Here are the minutes from this month's meeting. I will link it to the TC Website this weekend.

Just as a heads-up alert, I will also be adding the materials Kurt Cagle and I developed for our presentation to the WSIA TC founding meetings in January. I will also add my scenario from the WSIA as an example of Requirements-Gathering Methodlogy, with a formal use-case to be added as available.

Here are the TC Minutes, which I will link to this post Sunday, February 24, 2002 with some other updates to the TC website.

February 20, 2002

Teleconference meeting of the OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee.

USA Toll Free Number: 888-810-3949
USA Toll Number: +1-712-257-2360

Roll Call:
Voting Members:

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
Rex Brooks
Joe Norris
Rob Nixon
Manos Batsis by Proxy

Non-members:
Lola Ramirez
Sylvia Candlearia de Ram

Minutes taken by TC Secretary Rex Brooks

Meeting convened12:10 p.m. Eastern Time

This meeting was brief.

Lola Ramirez introduced herself, informing us tht she is the Director for E-Business for Drale Certivo, a global standards, education and certification organization closely working with the ebXML organization, with whose specifications she is familiar and for which she offered to advise us in regard to the compatibility of our vocabularies.

Sylvia Candlearia de Ram, who has monitored our efforts occasionally, identified herself as the editor of the Python Journal and was uncertain as to where or if she might contribute.

We welcomed both of them and expressed our hope that they continue to work with us.

Ranjeeth had two agenda items: 1) Review our efforts to gather requirements; and 2)
Review our ongoing efforts to renew the vigor of participation in our group.

With regard to 1) Rex Brooks pointed to the posting on the mailing list to which he attached a sample scenario from the Web Services for Interactive Applications TC, in a similar effort to derive requirements from typical scenarios using web services which are then further developed by more formal use-case analysis. Rex mentioned that he will also post a use-case example as it becomes available, as an example of the kind of analysis which the HumanMarkup TC might employ, and mentioned that he will be able to bring various requirements from his work with the WSIA TC.

Also in regard to 1) the formation of a new OASIS TC to develop standards for biometric data was noted, as was the request made to Sudhakar Gorti that he join and/or monitor this TC so that we can ensure that there are no conflicts in our vocabularies, and that we are in agreement on standard representations of this data for our overlapping purposes. Rob Nixon volunteered to also monitor developments with this new TC.

Further in regard to 1) Joseph Norris mentioned that he is discovering some requirements in his work on HumanML_Report.

The last clarification for agenda item 1 was to emphasize that the Requirements Document will also be a blueprint or plan for formally proceeding first with writing a base schema along the lines of Len Bullard's Phase 0 schema toolkit, and then to elucidate the requirements for developing the extended schemata modules from our subcommittees and future specification-writing, or usage-compilations.

In general, it was reiterated that we need to get our requirements submissions in by March 15, and it was noted that Rex will write a first-draft, straw-man document for discussion in the next meething of the HumanMarkup TC, Wednesday, March 20, 2002 at 12:00 Noon EST.

In regard to 2) It was noted, and gratefully acknowledged that Joe Norris' work on HumanML_Report is progressing in a timely and important way that shows great promise in demonstrating the practical use of HumanMarkup, and which will almost certainly gain us greater credibility and interest.

Also, in regard to 2) Rob Nixon reviewed his work on Tokenizing the Motion Capture data his work is producing. This will hopefully lead to an acceptable standard that recognizes these patterns of activity as represented by these tokens. The aim of this effort is to develop a set of motion templates from these tokens that can be associated with emotional states both in recognizing the patterns and reproducing them in a standard way.

With regard to both 1) and 2) Rex Brooks reported from his prior conversation/chat with Manos Batsis that Manos had volunteered to monitor and/or join the XTM effort, which comprises several OASIS Topic Map TCs and has its own Member Services Area, and is also preparing for a conference soon. This fills a deficit for the HumanMarkup TC's efforts in forming liaisons with other TCs. Manos also asked if there were any ideas besides his in joining the XTM efforts, that might bring new participants to his efforts to ensure compliance and interoperability with RDF specifications. He noted that the W3C RDF Working Group has gotten deeply involved with the issues of Type, especially with regard to the handling of literals in triples. This means that it may not be possible to guarantee complete harmony between our efforts and the emerging amendments in the RDF Specification.

New Business:

The committee decided that, particularly with regard to improving participation, and coordinating our increased activities, that we will meet informally on Yahoo IM for conference chats on Mondays weekly at 12 Noon EST.

Joseph Norris will produce a feedback mechanism for continuing the development of HumanML_Report for a features wishlist and to gather requirements from potential users of demonstration application.

The meeting was then adjourned, with the next meeting scheduled for March 20, 2002 at 12:00 Noon EST.

Regards,
Rex Brooks
OASIS HumanMarkup TC Vice Chair, Secretary and Webmaster