Subject: [humanmarkup] A Week That Was (and then some) and Still IS

Hi Everyone,

I seem to be having one of those weeks that manages to pack in
everything plus the kitchen sink, not all that dissimilar from last
month this time. I hope it isn't about to become a pattern, but I
know it is only the lead up to the summer vacation/conference season,
although conference season is now stretching all year, as opposed to
the fall-year end/new year and mid-year slots.

Regardless, I wanted to apprise you all that I'm running behind, AND
I've chased down a viral infection, too. (That was facetious since it
was the other way round, with the virus chasing me down.) I will do
my best to get the minutes and website and the next element-body
location out by the end of the weekend, but my body is informing that
I either take it easier today, or it will go on strike and keep me in
bed for a while.

However, I am making progress on a fresh install of Windows 2000, and
I actually don't appear to be losing either any data, nor some of the
programs that I was entitled to install while I was teaching, but not
to keep the disks and packaging for, since it was installed under an
Educational Institution's Licenses, so that is one of the silver
linings from this week of storm clouds.

I was sorta stuck with a phone in one or the other ear while whacking
on the Win2K problem yesterday, since it was the Web 3D Consortium's
Open Member Meeting Day culminating their week of workshops at the
San Mateo Sun Microsystems Campus. I learned quite a bit, not all of
it good or hopeful, but enough so that I'm reasonably pleased that
numerous pieces of that puzzle are coming together, and are scheduled
for announcement to the world at this year's SIGGRAPH during the
third week of July, and which I hope to attend if I can possibly
swing it. It also allowed me to catch up on the latest developments
in the Java world. I will attempt to give y'all a report on it next
week. The upshot is the release of the latest rev of Java, so the
coincidence with my Win2K breakdown is actually an opportunity to
lessen the overall pain the keester that these first releases always
turn out to be.

Unfortunately, the breakdown of the Win2K installation prevented me
from completing a sample of 3D Data Visualization in a Portal, which
I was scheduled to present, and that was definitely NOT a good thing.
I have attached the only deliverable sample of it I have at this
point, which is just one of those numerous checks that one makes to
see how things are looking. It is a jpeg of the 3D scene which is
just one page/world of the Portal which will deliver customized 3D
data visualizations in a Management Decision Support Portal based on
the individual user's preferences and permissions. It isn't meant as
an actual sample since the actual sample would be a 3D vrml/X3D set
of 3D environments combined with (e.g. Embedded in) XHTML pages. The
point is that you can simply supply a greater density of information
on a single screen/scene/environment in 3D than 2D. Unfortunately
this sample doesn't show that as readily as the .wrl file itself, but
that file hasn't been optimized yet, so including it, let alone
requiring a plug-in to view it, was just not feasible right now. I
will put it on my own website when it is in more presentable
condition.

Now I will get back to reinstalling what software I need to
reinstall. Since this includes 3D Studio Max and the IBM WebSphere
Suite, I may be busy for a while. And, of course, this week wouldn't
be complete without one more teleconference, the WSIA, which is the
other group for which I produced this sample.

I will be back soon, I hope, with minutes and website updates.