Subject: Re: [humanmarkup] VR: 3DMeNow

Same old problem as Flash and Real Player. It only works with its own
proprietary player, which means it won't operate for websites
equipped with the ISO standard and it only supports IE, so it is
limited by its own choices. Of course, it is available now, but...
after all the hassle of changing browsers, downloading the player and
waiting forever for it to work, what? "Testing. Testing, one, two,
three, welcome to biovirtual on the web." with the head turning
slightly the eyebrows lifting and the eyes blinking while the
lip-synching worked fine.

No offense, this is very much what I would produce for a talking head
chat, but the emotions need to be there, and the interface would be
much simpler. I looked at it and could not find a reason why I would
want to figure out how to work it to drive my own image over the web.
With the chat applet I plan, there would be no downloading or
installing, you would have an automatically loaded player and a
standard set of faces from which to choose unless you happen to have
your own, or wish to purchase one, which would be the only place that
a first time user would ever get a money pitch from the vendor, and
even then, since you would be getting a reuseable representation of
your head which could be added to a bodily representation later and
would work in any ISO standardized 3D environment, you would be
getting real value instead of an invitation to continue sending money
to one vendor.

And, I expect they will use HumanML when they understand it gives
them a standardized set of emotions and gestures.

Anyway, it does point out that we are certainly not alone in seeing
the value of adding the personal human touch to computing.