Subject: Re: [humanmarkup] Today's Meeting; Followup on repost of CIDOC CRMSymposium

Thanks James,

This is an excellent step for spreading information about the Human
Markup Language. I'm tempted to make statements about where I think
we will be by then, but I think it is better to get the work done
rather than talk about what I think we will be able to do. For sure,
we better have our first spec approved or close to approval by then.
So I think we can plan based on that, so that what you and hopefully,
Sylvia, too, can present will be material backed up with a working
language ready to be used, and extended.

I think a 30 minute presentation makes more sense, too. When I
presented our work to the first meeting of the Web Services for
Interactive Applications TC meeting last January, it was aimed at 30
minutes and went about an hour and a half, more from questions and
discussions than from my presentation itself, which merely went about
15 minutes longer than projected or about 45 minutes. Even then, it
was shorter than what I had planned, since I had to cut out a largish
middle section because questions started before I got much more than
half way. However, that is always a possiblity if a presentation is
given in a forum where feedback is encouraged. The point is, once an
audience begins to understand what we are presenting with HumanML,
questions follow quickly. I suggest a Powerpoint presentation with a
couple of animated SVG sections backed by a paper for distribution
with the rest of the symposium materials and website materials so
that the audience can visit on their own and get a review of the
materials.

At 4:14 PM -0500 9/18/02, James Landrum wrote:
>Per discussion during teleconference today, I am reposting the call
>for participation in the upcoming International CIDOC CRM Symposium.
>Pending acceptance of paper, I will be presenting on the ATL
>projects at this symposium, and per teleconference discussion today,
>have offered to present a paper on behalf of HuML TC while there.
>Abstract is due no later than November 30, 2002. We should mapm out
>the theme of the paper and draft the abstract, and submit in sooner
>than later., etc.  I suggest we target a 30 minute presentation,
>rather than the 15 minute session, because there is so much to
>cover, or, short of that, if we choose to do so, focus on a more
>specific topic with HuML and aim at the 15 minute presentation

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309