Subject: [humanmarkup] The Relationship of RDF to XML in HumanML

Hi Everyone,

This is the message I referred to earlier in my post on proxemic.
Since I am still pretty darn excited about it must mean that either I
am crazy, or there is something to it, owing to the fact that I have
not been able to get back to this since Wednesday, and it was not a
big part of our meeting, but it IS a big deal to me. Manos Batsis is
going to be working on an RDF sample for us which we will hopefully
see early next week.

The significance of this is that while we have been toiling along on
the Primary Base Schema, and even considering dropping the division
of Base and Secondary Schemata as well as looking at the very
promising semiotic processor experiment, there has been a fairly
important issue simmering on the back burner, which James Landrum has
called to our attention a couple of times, and which the issues
raised by the semiotic experiment bear on.

That issue is the various standards, and most particularly items,
terminology, elements within those standards, whether they be
promulgated by the IETF. ISO, W3C, Web 3D Consortium, OASIS, or
HR-XML.org, with which we need to consonant, interoperable, and
compatible, yet with which we will inevitably have differences.

James has been contributing resource references and I have been
citing existing standards that bear directly on elements in the
Primary Base Schema, and most recently we have considered what might
seem like a very simple concept, measurement. As it turns out this is
neither simple nor even very easy. In our meeting we tossed around
some further concepts relating to how we can apply the element
measurement_unit to subjective qualititative elements such as
emotional intensities, which will still need to have relative
measurements by which these intensity values can be used in a
standardized way.

What Manos can provide, through his work on RDF is a way to put such
subjective measurements into a common context by directing processors
called on by application writers using HumanML to the resources we
cite when we want to use a term with a qualitative, subjective
measurement. Although this is not the particular example Manos is
working on, what RDF can do for each of the areas where we may need
to have slightly different or uniquely HumanML meanings for terms is
to set up RDF schemata that tie the terms we want to use in a certain
way to a resource document which gives that usage the meaning we
want. I envision this as mostly a way to use resources such as James
has been submitting to us for consideration and other academically or
institutionally accepted and formalized usages for terms.

What I think we can do very effectively is to take the various
enumerations or associations (used in the published topic maps sense
and comparable to what Ranjeeth calls codelists) we wish and connect
them to our elements. What we can do with the Secondary Base Schema
is to compile these enumerations and place them into our huml
namespace that will be maintained by OASIS once our specifications
are approved as standards (What an optimist!) When the resources we
want referred to for precise definitions of these eunmerated terms
are so connected by the corresponding RDF Schema, we will have a very
solid foundation on which our many applications can build in
consonance with accepted science and technology.

At the upper level, to be thoroughly connected with Knowledge
Management Science, we can have our entire language grounded in the
DAML-OIL Ontologies. For some better understanding of that you can
refer to the HM.frameworks document. However I don't think it is
necessary to stipulate that now, nor is it necessary to specify
DAML-OIL as opposed the Cyc. We can state that our work is based on
an understanding of the importance of being aligned with the most
accepted Ontological systems. At some point in the future I suspect
DAML-OIL will achieve the kind of market dominance currently enjoyed
by Apache in the webserver market.

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309