Subject: [humanmarkup] New Base Schema Elements and Attributes - belief

Hi Everyone,

Up and at 'em, campers! (or, Good Morning HumanMarkup!) Here is my
first pass at the alphabetically first new element.

belief

This is an abstract ComplexType element that belongs to the attribute
group humlIdentifierAtts. It does not use other elements and is not
used by other elements.

It is described as a conviction held by a human or humanGroup of the
truth of a statement or assertion, or set of statements or
assertions. Assertions need not be verbal. A set of statements or
assertions can be seen to be beliefSystems, or signSystems and as
such are expected to be developed further

Note: According to my dictionary there appear to be two main types or
kinds of belief: a habitual state of mind and an evaluation of
evidence. They are not mutually exclusive. The extensive discussions
we have had will largely come to bear on how belief is developed by
kinds or types and as beliefSystems amd/or signSystems which will
also certainly be included in cultural descriptions.

Aspects of belief include considerations of truth that may be
contrary to any given belief, and it may well be that our definition
of belief needs to be carefully annotated so that it is understood as
separate from what might be thought of as "objective" truth. As such,
it provides a way to separate a human's belief from truth per se, so
that the relationship between a human's belief or beliefSystem can be
correlated to that human's communications and other actions without
regard for whether the belief or beliefSystem is more or less
objectively accurate or true.

I have tried to keep this atomistic level definition of belief as
neutral as possible, which I believe (gack!) is necessary. I use the
word believe here to establish a relative evaluation of the
usefulness of the Primary Base Element itself as a foundation for
further derived and extended elements in the Secondary Base Schema.

Heads UP: I will be shortly posting an example of how I am going to
correlate our carefully threaded discussions with the Primary Base
Schema to show how we arrived at our specification.

Can we stand so much fun?

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309