Subject: [humanmarkup] RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Request for Opinions:Documenting Discussions

Title: Request for Opinions: Documenting Discussions

I think a short HTML summary would only be useful in any official document, because the entire post might be too much information for those who would be reading this as an official document or submission.  However, if you mean simply gathering all the posts together into one document for our own internal discussion, or even posted on the website, that would make a lot of sense.

I’m in the up-to-the-brim stage right now again myself…but I hope to share some a few more ideas on some of these initial elements.

-----

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 9:20 AM
To: humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org; humanmarkup@lists.oasis-open.org

Fellow Humans,

I need some group guidance. Because we are not working from use-cases, which we would be very constrained if we attempted due to the wide variety of uses and purposes which we are aimed at serving, we need to document how we arrived at the decisions about the specification we will be submitting. Some TCs start from clear business scenarios, develop specific use-cases, and drill down to fundamental functionalities to codify for specific business purposes. We don't do that and because of that, selling the utility and advisability of supporting our standard will be more difficult.

So, what I intend to do is to publish our discussions as they occurred to support understanding our process and what we thought each element, attribute, datatype and value was needed to accomplish. That is the reason behind insisting on the process I did, and keeping discussions focused in subject line threads.

My question is whether it is better to simply post them all together in one message per element, attribute, etc, and include a url to that message in the email archive, as I do for our minutes, or if I should compile a short html page for each item? Obviously it is easier to give you the email example now, so here is the discussions we had on Base Schema - Belief. (It was capitalized in the subject, but won't be in the schema--just to clarify that.) It is ordered from last to first chronologically as it was added to the archive of our list at OASIS.

It will look just like any other entry in the archive: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/

I am hoping no one really wants a sample html, because that is simply more effort, and my time is short, and after all, it is the content of the messages that is important, not how it looks unless how it looks prevents understanding or understanding would be substantially improved by an html treatment.

Please let me know what you think.