Subject: [humanmarkup] PBS-Doc-human and humlNameElements

Title: PBS-Doc-human and humlNameElements
Hi Everyone,

This is what we had to say about the base unit. All I did was to take out the samples of extension elements that can be added from other schemata.. I left <xs:extension base="humlNameElements"> The rest of our discussions did not require any further changes that I could determine.

I suspect that, given the correspondence I have had the last few days, importing namespaces makes more sense than adding individual elements and we still do not have to enumerate those elements while making them available for use with our schema. There will certainly be reasons for adding individual elements and enumerations that might be duplicates in the Secondary in order to make them more easily understood as available in the Secondary.

Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-human

             From: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
             To: humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org, humanmarkup@lists.oasis-open.org
             Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 06:58:39 -0700

      Good morning, Human Markup!

      human

      This is a ComplexType, not abstract, belongs to the attribute group
      of humlIdentifierAtts and does not reference other elements.

      This is the largest single container in our language, and as Len
      correctly points out is possibly the root element of the schema. I
      would say it is.

      Isn't it odd that the very crux of our effort has so little that it
      is appropriate to say about it? It will require a name which is to
      say that the collection of characteristics for each particular
      instance of this element will define a name, and this name will have
      the type humlNameAtts.

      This is a true case of less equalling more because the less we say
      about this element here, the more characteristics it can contain. I
      briefly thought that we might want to allow for another element which
      I would call agent or humanAgent to represent bots, but decided that
      that would add too much overhead for distinguishing between the
      representation of an actual, currently living, biological human being
      and a software entity. Since both agents and humans will be compared
      against the identifying information they assert for themselves,
      taking all such entities at face value simplifies the task of
      handling and tracking interactive behavior while little purpose is
      served by adding another set of computations to recognize a
      distinction that will not matter to machines and can't be instantly
      verified by human end-users/clients.