Subject: [humanmarkup] PBS-Doc-signal

Title: PBS-Doc-signal
Very little changed here except changing humlIdentifierAtts to humlCommAtts and shortened the definition. If we need to we can revisit the concept in the public review, but I think it is pretty sound.
No double meaning meant.

Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema - signal

             From: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
             To: humanmarkup@lists.oasis-open.org, humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
             Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 08:09:34 -0700

      Hi Everyone,

      We're baaack!

      This element is a ComplexType, abstract, does not reference other
      elements. I'm not sure, as I am not sure with many other elements,
      whether we want to stipulate that it is not used by other elements,
      although for these three semiotics elements, we may want to give it
      more thought.

      It is described/defined as: Human Signal An interruption in a field
      of constant energy transfer. An example is the the dots and dashes
      that open and close the electromagnetic field of a telegraph circuit.
      The basic function of such signals is to provide the change of a
      single environmental factor to attract attention and to transfer
      meaning.

      I will defer to the final determination of the group, but I think we
      may want to refine this a bit. Oddly enough, I think that could
      result is a shorter description to something like: a perceptible
      change in an environmental factor that can be used to transfer
      meaning.

      In any event, it is also a member of the group of elements that
      shares the attribute group: humlIdentifierAtts.

      My trepidation with the concept of use by other elements is that of
      finding a way to specify that while atomistic in the Primary Base
      Schema, all elements in this schema are meant to be used by child
      elements in the succeeding schemata. We might want to say that the
      elements in this schema are intended to be used to derive the
      elements of the Secondary Base Schema, which in turn are meant to be
      referenced by the Application Area-Specific Schemata member elements.