Subject: RE: [huml] Last day to vote on race attribute removal

Thanks Rex,

I think I was a bit unclear in my last post because I didn't emphasize
what I needed to, so I'm resending it--early morning grog I guess...

To clarify again, I am casting my own vote to, yes, remove the term
"race" from physicalDescriptor--based on the posts so far, it really
isn't a specific description of a physical characteristic, but the
result of a derivation of other characteristics.  It certainly has
predefined codelists in existence, but there isn't a universally
accepted definition, so it might as well be best be derived from the
primary, which would obligate it to be explicitly defined.

However, that doesn't mean that race is also a primary, primordial,
fundamental personal identity we would like to often communicate.  It
isn't necessarily a cultural characteristic, but a means of personal
identity that is at the core of how many of us define ourselves.  To be
able to communicate or embody the "black experience living in America"
for example really is an experience not about culture or any specific
physical description, but something transcendent.  In the ideal world,
probably we wouldn't define our core self based on our race, but that is
how we communicate, and a concept we would want to communicate, now.

I'm posting to both groups, as this vote occurred during the public
comments period.

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga

I am casting my own vote to yes, remove the term "race" from
physicalDescriptor--based on the posts, it really isn't a specific
description of a physical characteristic, but the result of a derivation
of other characteristics.  It certainly has predefined codelists in
existence, but there isn't a universally accepted definition, so it
might as well be best be derived from the primary, which would obligate
it to be explicitly defined.

It feel it think it does belong in the PBS however, which is why I
hesitated.  However, that doesn't mean that race is also a primary,
primordial, fundamental personal identity we would like to often
communicate.  It isn't necessary a cultural characteristic, but a means
of personal identity that is at the core of how many of us define
ourselves.  To be able to communicate or embody the "black experience
living in America" for example really is experience not about culture or
any specific physical description, but something transcendent.  In the
ideal world, possibly we wouldn't define our core self based on our
race, but that is how we communicate, and a concept we would want to
communicate, now.

I'm posting to both groups, as it occurred during the public comments
group.

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga