Subject: Re: [huml] Use Case Images

Dear all,  (and Sylvia, please CC ,e directly on any comments- I do not seem
to be receiving your comments, and only get Rex;s reposts of the input fromn
you. )
Thanks Rex for your submission of avi files, jpeg files, and text intor (Word
doc).  Been a very bust few days here, on top of severe flu-like symptoms,
below zero weather that busted water main (no water since Saturday!), and
submission of abstract to another conference.  All that as sad excuse for not
doing as I said I would do:  1) send out an outline... and 2) proivide initial
feedback from Franco Niccolucci (not yet available).
So, per Rex's input (and Sylvia's comments) and the with the presentation
outline in mind:
Here is an annotated outline:

I. Title:  Human Markup Language (HumanML): Humananess Content and
SharingAcross Perspective Shifts.

II. Authors  (So far it is James E. Landrum III, Sylvia Candelaria De Ram,
Rex Brooks, Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga, and Rob Nixon- no one else indicated
interest- and WE are MORE THAN WILLING  to accept biosketches and
contributions from additional HumanML TC and Invited Experts as late as Friday
of this week (February 15)- and seriously folks, we would like to include your
contributions in this paper/presentation.

III. Abstract:
Human Markup Language, a set of standard HumanML tags, are designed for
explicitly
indicating "humanness" -- meaningfulness originating in your point of view and
interpreted in the perspective of your fellow in communicating. Gaps in
perspectives are to be expected in globalized communication; resolving them
fast is of supreme importance. HumanML, or "Human Markup Language",  is a
developing standard tagset for XML envelopes and RDF logic. The endeavor is
one among the OASIS projects. To quote the Technical Committee's Charter,
"HumanML is designed to represent human characteristics through XML. The aim
is to enhance the fidelity of human communication."
As meta-labels for communicators' content and perspective, HuML tags address
both the personal and contextual aspects of communications. They may range
from Community, Culture, Intent, and Emotion to descriptors of person/group
and circumstance.
HumanML tags are carried along with the signal itself as it crosses the bridge
between you and your fellow. The goals are better  interpretation and more
accurate messaging -- even if the fellowship involves a computer or two.
Computer applications, say for virtual face-to-face communication, may pick up
HumanML terms expanded to suit different domains: For instance, primary terms
in the base schema such as Intent, Kinesic, and GeoLocator can be variously
expanded in applications that handle communications of diplomacy, dance,
design, or education.
Similarly, Community and Semiosis may be detailed for local or specialized
genres and sign-systems. Standard XML expansion mechanisms are available for
derivation and  expansion as HumanML primary terms are built upon to yield
secondary terms for different practical tasks. Use Cases illustrate.

IV. Keywords:
Extensible Markup language (XML) Human Markup Language (HumanML), Cultural
Salience, Communication, Visualization, Mapping Gestures and Emotion, Motion
Capture, Animation, Virtual Reality (ADD others or DELETE as appropriate)

V. Paper Content:

A. Introduction: Definition of HumanML;  Purpose Scopes and Goals  (To be
pulled from Rex's Intorduction and elesewhere as appropriate),

B.  Background, History, Origin (all the stuff Rex provided in his
Introduction goes here), include member's and their contributions, timeline
(good for at least 1 powerpoint slide, or more);  deliverables, products to
date (e.g., Primary Base Schema).  Where we are now, short reference to what's
next.

C.  Use Case Examples::
    1.  Rex's Use case: Musculoskeletal facial emotion markup (demonstration
of the faceskeleton.avi)  NEEDED:  example of HumanML  code to tie this
together
    2. Rob's motion captureand HumanML translation to kinesic gbody esture and
movement generation Use Case (demonstration of lianslip.avi) NEEDED:  example
of HumanML  code to tie this together.
    3.  Sylvia's Use Case??????
    4. Native Dancer Use Case:  Rob and I need to chat (telephone) on this-
will need to include Aaron Bergstrom (and possibly Christina Johnson also) to
get at least 1 motion segment of the powwow dancer mapped with HumanML???? or
at least a decent set of powerpoint slides demonstrating conceptual framework.

    5   DANA Use Case (tentative; this is relevant to CIDOC-CRM framework,
with regard for relationships of Cultural Heritage Resources, Anthropology,
AnthML, Archaeology, etc.)
    6.  Ranjeeth's Use Case?????
    7.  Ranjeeth's conversion and mapping of CIDOC-CRM to XML and HumanML as a
grand finale of sorts:  This should be received by target audience as an
impressive contribution!

D.  Future: What's Next: Further Development of HumanML and Applications.
   Rex's Chat Client, etc., etc.,

E. Summary/Conclusion

VI. Notes (if any)

VII. Bibliography.  Send me any and all references for your sections and I'll
compile this section, and fit the citations in the text to the refenences.

VIII Copyright and Intellectual Property Rights Information.
Since this will be posted on the CIDOC-CRM Symposium web site, the final task
will be conversion to HTML, with graphics inserted at appropriate locations..
Am not sure of format, but will contact Martin Doerr on this matter and get
back to you.

--
>From the desk of James [Jim] E. Landrum III
NDSU Archaeology Materials and Technologies Laboratories
URL = http://atl.ndsu.edu
Digital Archive Network for Anthropology (DANA).
DANA URL = http://atl.ndsu.edu/archive
Email: <James.Landrum@ndsu.nodak.edu>
Phone: 701-231-8059
FAX: 701-231-1047