Subject: [egov] Re: [huml] The Office of Justice Programs's (OJP) Justice XML Data Dictionay

Hi David,

I wasn't thinking at the ebusiness integration deployment level yet,
so I understand our disconnect. I'm thinking in terms of the higher
level design considerations, i.e. what resources (standard
vocabularies) do you want or need to include, before starting
integration. In that respect a specification package would include
both an rdf schema for related resources, some of which (the
resources, not the rdf)  might be included in an application or not,
as well as the specific xml schema for the specification, which would
then be used as you outline producing the registry--the only
difference being that you might find it useful to include some terms
from other specs or libraries (correctly referenced) that may be more
appropriate for some uses within an application. In that case, the
rdf saves you from hunting for specific uses of terms, (or suffering
the confusion and errors consequent to using incorrect or
inappropriate terms) and gives you the location for schema (and/or
namespace) for that resource.

Probably, this disconnect is also due somewhat to the fact that we
(in HumanML) have numerous such terms with multiple meanings which
need to be accounted for in various applications which might use
HumanML. For instance, take the term artifact, which could be used in
applications in fields as varied as public safety and archeology, but
the more specific the definition and datatype one needs, the more
critical the accuracy of one's schema reference must be. A date-time
value in terms of paleontological frameworks ought not be used for
forensic evidence from a recent crime scene.

I could cite a lot of examples, especially from the public health
sector I happen to be studying right now, which is particularly
lacking in coordinated vocabularies. However, I think all sectors of
the economy are getting the message that standards are required
moving forward from here. Of course, that leads some of us to severe
standards fatigue.

What I am thinking now is how a tool that produces the kind of
registry you describe would be very useful when applied to resources
from an rdf schema that accompanies a given specfication, for those
resources that can be used by such a tool, to produce quick
comparisons from which an application developer could choose the best
set for a given application.

Once those decisions, which usually, I recognize, do not need an
exhaustive comparison search, are done, or not, then tools to drive
business rules, dependencies and legally binding validations are
especially excellent and welcome additions to our collective
repertoire.