Subject: Fwd: DoD SBIR 2003.2 solicitation is open for proposal submission

Darn, they went and put one in this batch of topics which is
unavoidable. I expect Rob and I will collaborate again, but I also
wanted to just let everyone know that there is at least one SBIR
topic which is applicable.

Rob, Please let me know when will be a good time for us the chat on
Yahoo IM about this. I suspect we can just dust off the last
proposal, for required elements and only work on the ones necessary
for the SBIR as opposed to the STTR we did. We will probably have to
check with our resources for some new capabilities but I don't
foresee great problems.

We have till Aug. 14. I will look at other topics, but this one is
custom fit to the work I just finished and shows HumanML in the best
possible light. Couldn't ask for more. I suspect that the mocap work
is totally applicable as well.

DARPA - 21
DARPA SB032-038 TITLE: Integrated System for Emotional State
Recognition for the Enhancement
of Human Performance and Detection of Criminal Intent
TECHNOLOGY AREAS: Sensors, Electronics, Battlespace, Human Systems
Approved for Public Release, Distribution Unlimited
OBJECTIVE: Develop a non invasive emotion recognition system for the
detection and categorization of the emotional/stress state of the
subject. The system should be suitable for deployment in
military/operational environments or in environments in which
discrete observation of potential enemy threats is desired.
unintentionally through a variety of emotional expressions. These
expressions are most easily observed in the speech patterns, facial
expressions, and body language of the individual. From these
expressions we naturally draw inferences about an individual's
hostile or friendly intent, or their level of stress, fatigue, or
confusion. In many circumstances, however, it is difficult or
impossible for human observers to make the necessary observations of
another's emotional expressions and make
reliable assessments of the individual's future actions or
capabilities. The observer's own emotional or psychological states
can affect such judgments, or the individual of interest may be in an
operational environment that is not conducive to direct observation
by others. In addition, there is information available on the
emotional or stress state of the individual that has not yet been
explored or exploited; examples of this include thermal imaging of
the human face and body and detection of chemosignals (e.g.
pheromones, volatile steroids).

Automated emotion detection systems could perform such assessments
around the clock and free from personal bias. Such systems could be
used to assess fitness for duty, integrated into closed loop systems
regulating user vigilance and workload, or used to detect the
sinister intent of individuals and prompt pre-emptive interdictions.
These systems could unobtrusively monitor individuals within military
operational environments or crowded civilian settings by relying on
passive detection of the emotional aspects of speech, face, and
gesture patterns and other
novel measurements. The current effort would build upon existing
technologies and incorporate novel remote sensing technologies to
develop systems capable of detecting, categorizing, and responding to
the emotional information encoded in human speech, facial
expressions, gestures and other emitted signals. Key
emotional/cognitive states detected should include, but need not be
limited to, anger, drowsiness, anxiety, fear, confusion,
disorientation, and frustration. The necessary systems must be
capable of functioning in crowded civilian and/or
military/operational environments characterized by high background
noise and multiple speech sources and should be sufficiently rugged,
light weight, and unobtrusive to function in military/operational
environments.

PHASE I: Conduct an exploratory study to characterize and describe
the emotional states that will be detected. Determine the feasibility
of an emotional state recognition system that incorporates at least
two of the following: speech, facial expression, gesture and one
additional sensor to detect novel biometrics like chemosignals
(pheromones, volatile steroids) or thermal imaging.

PHASE II: Design and develop a prototype integrated emotional state
recognition system for testing in a realistic environment. Prototypes
should not merely assess, but give a categorization as to the state
of the user. Conduct testing under varying stress conditions and
operational demands.
PHASE III DUAL USE APPLICATIONS: This system could be used in a broad
range of military and civilian applications where automatic real-time
detection of cognitive, emotional, or stress state would permit
assessment of and proactive interdiction to improve worker fitness
for duty - for example, in long-duration flight operations or in
managing vigilance for air-traffic controllers.