Subject: 1st Draft-TC Minutes for 7-16-03

Title: 1st Draft-TC Minutes for 7-16-03
Note: I have indicated in paratheses where I need some further material from James, if he has time to elaborate, or indicate to me how detailed he would like the information to be.

I will then include his materials and post a more final draft of the minutes.

Here are the minutes for this month's meeting:

July 16, 2003

Teleconference meeting of the OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee.

USA Toll Free Number: 888-576-9014
USA Toll Number: +1-773-756-0201

Roll Call:
Voting Members:

Rex Brooks
Rob Nixon
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
Sylvia Candelaria deRam
James Landrum
Russell Ruggiero (Prospective)

Minutes taken by TC Secretary Rex Brooks

Meeting convened 12:05 p.m. Eastern Time.

Previous meeting minutes accepted.

This meeting was held on the third Wednesday of the Month.

We had a quorum.

As usual, some of these items were actually discussed in a somewhat different sequence from this  summary.

Old Business:

Rob reviewed the current status of work on a Mission/Charter Statement for the Cognitive Environment Subcommittee, (CogEnv). Following discussions between he and Sylvia, they have decided to put the formal inauguration of this subcommittee on hold temporarily so that they can proceed with their individual work on projects in this area in order to see more clearly what base elements, attributeGroups, complexTypes v. simpleTypes and basic datatypes are required by those applications they are working on. This is due to the fact that these applications need to be more developed before they can comfortably distinguish between base terms needed in a standard and terms that require private copyright protection.

Ranjeeth discussed the current status of his work on a Mission/Charter Statement for the Conflict Resolution Subcommittee. He specifically answered Rex's questions about the terminology of mediation and mitigation and the language concerning the function of this subcommittee to provide guidance for the larger TC versus ConRes specific terminology. Ranjeeth also reiterated his requirement for finding an adequate candidate to take on the chair duties of this subcommittee.

Rex said that his initial work on a State Department Use Case has settled on using current events in Iraq rather than recent historical incidents and that he sent it to Ranjeeth for Ranjeeth's evaluation and that it would, as was discussed earlier before the meeting convened, would use adaptations of Rob's existing slides.

James reported on the recommendations his multiple project proposals have received from the organizations and individuals involved with and/or leading the development of AnatML, the Anatomy Markup Language, The Digital Anatomist Foundational Model, and his collaborators on these project proposals. (James can supply details here, if he wishes. The Secretary encourages him to do so in order to ensure correctness in details and references.) Rex has also provided letters of support from the Humanmarkup.org, Inc. organization.

These initiatives hold significant promise for our work, as well as offering further opportunities for collaborative efforts in the near term, because James had included provision for including HumanML in general and the HPCDML Subcommittee's work in particular.

Sylvia acknowledged that she has provided the combined paper and presentation she and James delivered to the CIDOC CRM Symposium to the Symposium's collected papers and presentations and agreed to repost the notice she made concerning this with the urls for these materials so that Rex can add this to the HumanML TC webpages and offer it to OASIS to include in their collection of supporting materials for presentations and seminars which OASIS undertakes each year.

Rex reported on his efforts toward combining the work he has conducted in the TCs to which he belongs. This specifically includes the imminent submission of the WSRP 1.0 Specification for OASIS-wide approval as a standard. He mentioned that his goal is to find a way to combine the Web Services Specification with HumanML adaptations and enhancements to personalization and security aspects of these services in combination with Emergency Management TC recommended practices and its impending adoption of the Common Alerting Protocol into a combined sample web service. It is hoped, Rex said, that this can also be combined with work from the HPCDML SC to provide information on public health services in a specific example, from the New York Academy of Medicine if possible.

Rex also reported that he will be working toward some formal liaisons with these TCs and SCs, and that he will be working on the Primer for the WSRP 1.0 Specification over the summer which may be useful for these purposes as well.

Russell reported on his efforts to begin encouraging enterprise business uses of HumanML in order to create a common ground for collaboration with such possible corporate partners as IBM, Oracle, Hewlett-Pack and Sun Microsystems.

Rex reiterated that it is important to encourage both corporate and institutional cross-over work.

As part of Russell's work with Humanmarkup.org, Inc. we determined that we can channel our liaison efforts into projects organized for application in three broad categories: Enterprise, Institutional and Individual. Sylvia recommended adding groupings that fall outside of these categories, and while it was not formally adopted at this level of categorization, it should be noted that these subgroupings will certainly grow out of these more generalized categories, and we should certainly be prepared to include them as they develop.

Russell reported that he is developing a master listing of such projects within his work with Humanmarkup.org, Inc., and Ranjeeth suggested that we should post a subset of that document for tracking purposes to the documents section of the HumanMarkup TC webpages.

Rex said that he thought we should mention this in the same message he will work on with James for offering the CIDOC CRM presentation material to OASIS or an OASIS-specific version of these materials at the same time as listing for OASIS the multiple collaborations James is working on through the Archeology Technologies Laboratory at North Dakota State University. The overall purpose of offering these materials and the Bibliographic listing of projects underway is to broaden and reinforce the inclusion in OASIS materials of the academic work mutually supporting the adoption of and inclusion of various standards and extending the applicability and awareness of OASIS's work.

It is also hoped that this effort will support further outreach by the HumanMarkup TC to coprorate partners for research that can support mutually beneficial standards development.

Among these efforts James mentioned the inclusion of CRM in IST (Please expand, James...) in Europe on Cultural Heritage, where CRM will be an upper level ontology,  James is editing the CRM specific Glossary for this and is scheduled to be in Oxford to deliver this work on October, 6, 2003. This is expected to be included as part of the full ISO standard due to be adopted in March 2004.

James also mentioned that there are further potential liaison possibilities in the areas of Emergency Management and Conflict Resolution among his colleagues at NDSU, including the inauguration of an Emergency Management Degree Program. (My notes trailed off here, so if you could also mention whatever specific information you have concerning Conflict Resolution, James, I would appreciate it.)

We adjourned at 1:10 P.M. Eastern Time.