Subject: RE: [huml] Re: a random citation

I should always google first. ;-)

http://eqi.org/index.htm
http://eqi.org/emotions.htm

That is a rather good site with information that could
be used to build a secondary vocabulary theory on the
emotion primary.  Anyone care to speculate on why expressing
a secondary emotion is 'uniquely more human' and
'tacitly seen as more human', 'provokes stronger intentions'
and elicits 'nicer responses'?   How do the sign sets change
for primary vs secondary emotions?  Is the definition the
author of the site at the URL given above accepted or the
basis for a useful vocabulary?

"Primary and secondary emotions

Some authors use the terms primary and secondary emotions. I find this
distinction quite helpful. A primary emotion is what we feel first. The
secondary emotion is what it leads to.

Anger is a good example of a secondary emotion. As I discuss in my section
on anger there are many possible primary emotions which, when they are
intense enough, can lead to anger. We might feel insulted, pressured,
cheated, etc. If these feelings are at a low level we are not likely to say
we feel angry. But if they are intense, we commonly say we feel "angry."

Depression is another example of a secondary emotion. Or we might call it a
"catch-all" term. Depression can include feeling discouraged, hopeless,
lonely, isolated, misunderstood, overwhelmed, attacked, invalidated,
unsupported, etc. Normally it includes several feelings. These more specific
feelings are what I would call primary emotions.

Secondary, "catch-all" terms like anger and depression do not help us much
when it comes to identifying our unmet emotional needs (UEN's). When all I
can say is "I feel angry," neither I nor any one else knows what would help
me feel better. But if I say I feel pressured or trapped or disrespected, it
is much more clear what my UEN is and what would help me feel better. A
simple, but effective technique, then, is to identify the primary emotion."

len