Subject: RE: [huml] Talkingheads program at Curtin University of Technology

VHML was reviewed in Phase 0 of the HUML effort.
You may want to compare the HumanML Schema against
that work to understand the difference in the levels
of approach.  It is somewhat like comparing the
XML Schema Language to XHTML although no claim
is made that VHML is an application of HumanML.

HumanML is more abstract because it can be used
for more than simulation although use in simulation
was an express goal.

len

-----Original Message-----
From: James.Landrum [mailto:James.Landrum@ndsu.nodak.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 2:52 PM
To: huml@lists.oasis-open.org

Dear list,
The links below are part of a Curtin University of Technology, School of
Computing (Australia) development program to create, among other things,
the Virtual Human Modeling Language, a.k.a., markup for facial animation
for use in a manner which seems to be to be very close in scope and
goals to some of the Human Markup scopes and goals and related use
cases, including rex Brooks chat client.   Most recent documents
available dates to spring of 2001, so I am not sure what the current
status of this multi-faceted program is at present.  I will contact
Curtin University and discover what I can, and will update you.
Talkingheads
http://www.talkingheads.computing.edu.au/

Virtual Human Modeling Language
http://www.vhml.org/
The VHML will be XML/XSL based and will consist of the following
sub-systems:

      DMML Dialogue Manager Markup Language (W3C Dialogue Manager or AIML)
      FAML Facial Animation Markup Language
      BAML Body Animation Markup Language
      SML Speech Markup Language (SSML / Sable)
      EML Emotion Markup Language
      HTML HyperText Markup Language [ or subset only?]
PDF file overview of VHML
http://www.talkingheads.computing.edu.au/documents/workshops/TalkingHeadTech
nologyWorkshop/workshop/marriott/vhml_workshop.pdf
Interface
http://www.ist-interface.org/

Metaface
http://www.metaface.computing.edu.au/