Subject: Monthly TC Meeting Minutes for 10-15-03

Hi Everyone,

Here are the minutes for this month's meeting:

October 15, 2003

Teleconference meeting of the OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee.

USA Toll Free Number: 888-576-9014
USA Toll Number: +1-773-756-0201

Roll Call:
Voting Members:

Rex Brooks
Sylvia Candelaria deRam
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
Russell Ruggiero
Joseph Norris
Len Bullard

Propsective Member:
Chandrashekar Tamirisa

Minutes taken by TC Secretary Rex Brooks

Meeting convened 12:05 p.m. Eastern Time.

Previous meeting minutes accepted.

This meeting was held on the normally scheduled third Wednesday of the Month.

We had a quorum.

As usual, some of these items were actually discussed in a somewhat
different sequence from this  summary.

We began considering old business with subcommittee reports.

Rex reported that he had begun work on an outreach letter for HPCDML
SC, but was holding off on completing it until James returns from
England to provide feedback in suggestions, comments and critiques as
well as additional contactees. He also said that he was ready to
resubmit his Facial Musculoskeletal to the Humanoid Animation Group
of the Web 3D Consortium. Len noted that it appeared to him, as a
member of the Web 3D Consortium Board of Directors that interest in
actively expanding the activities and promotion of support for
VRML/X3D was increasing. Rex thought that this would be a good
coincidence, and would bode well for both H-Anim and HumanML/HPCDML.
Rex also mentioned that Sandy Ressler was working on a table for
mapping equivalent terminology from CAESAR to H-Anim and is willing
to work with the HPCDML SC on extending this table of equivalent
terminology to include HPCDML, or for HPCDML to include the table as
part of its work.

Rob Nixon was invited to attend and reported that he has had to allow
his OASIS membership to lapse temporarily but was willing to work
with Sylvia, who has stepped up to take on the role of leading the
work to finish originating work on the Charter and Mission Statement
for the prospective Cognition in Environments Subcommittee.

Sylvia reported that she had been reviewing email on the subcommittee
topics, and had decided to use as a model the Conceptual Resource
Model of the ICOM/CIDOC. She noted that she had joined the CIDOC CRM
SIG during the presentation she and James made this March, and that
she thought the broad overview technique with comprehensive attention
to providing for the framework was a good place to start.

Because Chandra was not in attendance, we did not spend much time
discussing the transition from Ranjeeth's vision of a Diplomacy SC
that was required by both the State Department and the e-Gov TC,
which he joined to remain in position for liaison work in the future,
to be changed. Recalling that at the last TC meeting it was suggested
that Conflict Resolution was too negative a name and that something
along the lines of "Bridging Perspectives" had been suggested, there
was some discussion along these lines. Rex voiced the opinion that
whatever name is chosen needs to have immediate and unmistakable
recognition, based on a body of existing work, to avoid confusion.
This actually resulted in a brief moment of confusion as to which
subcommittee he was referring with his comment due to his
transposition of Cognition for Diplomacy while speaking. The
confusion was cleared up by correcting the error, and we noted that
this issue was still moot with the new chair volunteer present to
join the discussion.

We then moved on the listen to Russell report on the conferences and
meetings he attended in Washington, D.C. Monday and Tuesday,
September 29, 30, 2003.

Monday, he attended the XML Authoring and Editing Conference by
invitation of  Owen Ambur co-chair of the federal XML.GOV Working
Group Monday morning and reported that his brief report on the
HumanML effort was well received. He was able to renew the HumanML
effort's close connection to Mr. Ambur. He was subsequent invited to
following conference's including the XML.GOV meeting the morning of
our TC Meeting, Oct. 15, 2003. We have also been invited to
participate in several other ongoing, related governmental, xml-based
interoperability programs and projects.

After the Authoring Conference, Russell went to an appointment with
Ms. Illa Brown, former Chief of Communications for the Department of
Homeland Security, (DHS), now with Oracle Corporation where she has
served as head of the effort to work with the DHS where he discussed
our collaboration/liaison with Humanmarkup.org, Inc.'s New York
Academy of Medicine Portal Project, and other areas of possible
overlap.We adjourned at about 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time. He reported
that his appointment went well.

Tuesday, he attended the EA Collaboration Workshop Sponsored by the
Emerging Technology Subcommittee, Architecture and Infrastructure
Committee and the National Coordination Office for Information
Technology Research & Development by invitation from

Susan B. Turnbull, Senior Program Advisor, GSA
Office of Intergovernmental Solutions, Office of Citizen Services and
Communications
Emerging Technology Subcommittee, Architecture and Infrastructure
Committee, CIOC
202-501-6214
susan.turnbull@gsa.gov

                        Agenda  - September 30, 2003
                    Collaboration Expedition Workshop #28
        National Science Foundation Board Room, 12TH floor, Room 1235

Purpose: To explore the Potential and Realities of Intergovernmental
Communities of Practice as Innovation Catalysts in an "Intangibles" Economy
The President's Management Agenda requires all federal agencies to
transform the roles and relationships among people, processes, and
technology in order to become a citizen-centered government. The Federal
Enterprise Architecture provides a blueprint for organizing lines of
business around shared mission purpose.

It was at this workshop that Russell met Mr. Chandrashekar Tamirisa,
Division of Research and Statistics
Board of Governors, Federal Reserve Board, who has joined our TC and
volunteered to take the chair of the former Diplomacy/Conflict
Resolution/Perspective Bridging SC, and has a project for
consideration which has the working title, "Global Development
Perspectives." The secretary chose to include this statement here in
order to show how it fits into the framework of governmental contacts
and activities with which we have become associated, and with which
we hope to continue to work on positive projects to move forward
toward mutual goals and objectives.

In conjunction with this workshop, Russell attended the meeting of
the XML Web Services Working Group headed by Brand Niemann, which is
another effort by the Federal Government for which it is perhaps a
good idea to examine the organizational working charter of this
COMMUNITY OF PRACTICE:

http://www.web-services.gov/#link4

The URL above contains the complete information including reference
links for the excerpt which follows for the purpose of including an
understanding of this important practical organizational concept
which is being used currently with the federal government, and with
which we are now aligned in many ways, due to the co-membership of
Ranjeeth in e-Gov TC and Rex in Emergency Management TC.

"Government Semantic XML Web Services Community of Practice (SWS-CoP)

in cooperation with the Government XML Working Group, the Universal
Access Collaboration Workshops, Emerging Components, Government
Enterprise Architecture Framework (GEAF) Components Registry and
Repository, and other Communities of Practice (CoP).

Web Server (courtesy of USGS Geology Division CIO's Office):
http://web-services.gov, GSA ListServ (courtesy of GSA CIO's Office):
http://listserv.gsa.gov/archives/cioc-web-services.html, and
Collaboration Place (courtesy of GSA's CIO's Office of
Government-wide Policy): http://ioa-qpnet-co.gsa.gov/WebServices

The purpose of this CoP is to support the Emerging Technology
Subcommittee of the CIOC/AIC in its work with the other two
subcommittees (Enterprise Architecture Governance and Components) and
the e-Gov Initiatives in their use of Semantic XML Web Services to
demonstrate increased accessibility and interoperability ..."

Russell mentioned that he perceived Brand Niemann of the xml
web-services wg along with the Owen Ambur of the xml.gov wg as being
more focused on tangible demonstrations such as web sites and
documents of record than with verbal descriptions, hence it is
advisable, he thinks for us to provide such materials in our future
efforts to maintain and build upon our contacts with these
individuals and their respective working groups.

Russell also discussed at some length the xml.gov meeting he had
attended via Web Ex teleconference the morning of our meeting, where,
in the context of Government Performance and Results Act of 1993
(GPRA) discussions the following presentations of XML Authoring Tools
were given

9:10	Basic XSD for GPRA Strategic Plans, using DOE's as an Example
for Conversion to XML
		Bert Sheingate, HyperVision (via WebEx)
		Assisted by Jon Barrett, Hummingbird, a HyperVision partner

9:50	XMetaL Customization for Creating/Editing/Viewing ET Stage 1
Instance Documents
		Jay Di Silvestri, Corel (via WebEx)

Russel said that these showed the relationships between documents and
the schemata to which they belonged, or from which they were produced
and also mentioned that it was reported that Windows 2003 products
like Word will now be using XML as native, rather than as referenced
instructions/rules. This demonstrates the commitment of the major
business computing platform to a thorough-going implementation of XML.

Russell closed his report by saying that we have been invited to
attend the first
Quarterly Emerging Components Conference:
Fostering a Component Technology Maketplace for eGovernment with SBIR/STR,
at the White House Conference Center,
October 20th (see attached for  details, register at
http://www.componenttechnology.org/Emerging/OtherParty/, and see
http://web-services.gov,
Announcements, September 16th, and Past Meetings and Presentations,
September 30th).

And, we also have been invited, as we are every month, to the next EA
Collaboration Workshop Oct. 28, 2003.

Russell also mentioned that he has been in touch with Thomson Media
and that they have indicated that they will be publishing the
article, "Are We Ready for the Next Web," by he and Rex soon, and
that he has contacted another writer who may be interested in
learning more about us. As this writer is an Anthropologist as well
as the author of an article titled, "Culture Clashes" in CIO
Magazine, such a person stands to be a great addition to our team if
she is sufficiently intrigued by our work.

Len mentioned an article he had posted to our list, and drew our
attention to the author, Richard Cooper, as someone with an abiding
interest in Ontologies and said that he would be referring Mr. Cooper
to Rex in connection with our work both in Ontologies/Taxonomies and
in Semiosis via Sowa's work in ontologies.

These latter discussions occurred in the context of our ongoing
outreach efforts, which are showing some results now, though several
comments from this later discussion have been inserted out of
sequence for their pertinance to other discussions.

We adjourned at 12:55 p.m. Eastern Time.