Subject: RE: [huml] NYAM Portal Collaboration

An attempt at applying HumanML to the issues
listed in that article would focus on the
roles of the communicating individuals, not
the individuals.  To do otherwise is to profile
the person instead of the role.  The culture
is the enterprise/business model first, and
then the culture of the individual.

1.  The role has less data collection requirements.
That makes it doable, and is isomorphic to the
requirements for role playing games.   A role
play based system enables individuals to be
changed (say, a shift change in a hospital
or a police station).  Business rules apply
predominantly to the role.

2.  Collection of data on individuals is not
only very extensive, expensive and noisy (people
lie), it is a non-starter in
many environments and for many people.  A
public portal has to deal with this problem
directly and with cognizance of the political
implications.

Particularly when combined with disaster
management and planning, a role based model
is required.  One then augments that with
personnel/master name indexed data for
deriving relationships among individuals
with respect to their assigned role.

len

From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]

Dear Colleagues,

(Note that I am posting this subsequent to
sending it out to the originally intended
addressees. I want to provide it to our lists
now, with many thanks to Chandra and James for
their proofreading and feedback, and, of course
to Russell and Ranjeeth for their usual
contributions to the overall effort as well as
this specific project. So please feel free to
offer your own informaton, comments or
suggestions.)

Please excuse my metaphorical dust, as we assess
reconstituting the effort to produce a "Proof of
Concept" example Web site for the New York
Academy of Medicine, (NYAM), Public Healthcare
Preparedness Portal Project. This project was
originally conceived to take advantage of the
opportunity to participate in a group booth
sponsored by the Emergency Management XML
Consortium and DMI-Services featuring a
multi-participant distributed network (LAN)
demonstration of the Common Alerting Protocol
(CAP) and DMI-Services.  The demonstration
project focused on LAN-based distribution of an
alert based on a hypothetical scenario: a
terrorist attack employing a chemical agent
impacting municipal, county, state and federal
agency jurisdictions in the city of St. Louis.
Unfortunately, this  project was terminated prior
to presentation due to inadequate scheduling and
preparation, uncertainty regarding on-site
equipment availability, and Web connectivity.

The participants who have indicated a willingness
to continue this project will be acknowledged in
all materials supplied by this project for public
dissemination and include NYAM, Humanmarkup.org,
Inc., Oracle Corporation, and DMI-Services.  This
acknowledgement will include the collateral
contributions of The Fund for the City of New
York, through whose technology consulting program
the participants were introduced.  Similarly, The
Organization for the Advancement of Structured
Information Standards (OASIS), whose Web Services
for Remote Portlets v1.0, (WSRP v1.0) standard
and whose Common Alerting Protocol v0.9n (CAP
v0.9n) Committee Specification will be featured
as a demonstration of both the interoperability
of these specifications and of the potential for
a national infrastructure to employ such open,
public standards in the public interest. Thanks
will also be acknowledged to the OASIS Emergency
Management Technical Committee, the OASIS Human
Markup Technical Committee and the OASIS Web
Services for Remote Portlets Technical Committee
for their work in producing the specification,
and supporting the overall collaboration effort.

The New York Academy of Medicine,
Humanmarkup.org, Inc. and Oracle Corporation form
a qualified Collaborative Operations Group, (COG)
for the purpose of beta testing the
Interoperability Services component of the
Disaster Management Interoperability Services
protocol as designated by that governing body.

What I would like to do is to review the goals,
roles and responsibilities of the parties who
expressed willingness to continue with this work
after the public demonstration at the Global
Homeland Security Conference September 24-26 in
Washington, D.C., which this COG elected to
forego. I also want to include an update of the
scenario I want to play out in the demonstration
portal, powerpoint presentation and paper that
will accompany the presentation. Therefore, I am
putting that report in a separate attachment with
this e-mail.

I have delayed my attempt to reconstitute this
effort until I had at least one new opportunity
to make a presentation of this effort and until
after a key participant of the effort, Mr.
Michael Freedman, of Oracle Corporation, has had
time to recover from his recent bicycle injuries.

I am pleased to announce that Mr. Russell
Ruggiero and I as representatives of both
Humanmarkup.org, Inc., and the OASIS HumanMarkup
Technical Committee have obtained an invitation
to make a presentation to the Federal Enterprise
Architecture, Collaboration Expedition Workshop
scheduled for December 9, 2004. This is a well
focused and strategic venue, which can be
publicized within the federal agency communities
and should attract interest from a broad audience.

In addition, we may also have an opportunity to
make a late-breaking news presentation and/or
participate in a Town Hall Meeting on Emerging
Technologies at XML 2003 Conference, which is
scheduled for that week as well. This could
require a condensed version of the workshop
presentation.

This may be a logistically difficult proposition
since the Workshop is in Arlington, Virginia,
while the Conference is in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania. It is also somewhat unlikely that
this second presentation can be accomplished
without undue haste given that the purpose for
that presentation could only be fulfilled by a
fortunate series of developments allowing key
components from other, related efforts, such as
the Map Symbology working group, chartered by the
Homeland Security working group of the  Federal
Geographic Data Committee (FGDC).

However, having said that, there is a distinct
lack of any Emergency/Disaster Management-related
topics or seminars being offered at the XML 2003
Conference, and it may be such a timely
presentation that some resources presently not
earmarked for that venue might be allocated, and
that would virtually necessitate that we put
forward the effort necessary to prepare and
deliver this version of our presentation. I will
be outlining my own thoughts about the necessary
emphasis for each of these presentations using
the same general material for both.

At least in part, the impetus for obtaining the
invitation to make a presentation to the
Collaboration Expedition Workshop came in
response to the article published in Direct
Marketing Review that Mr. Ruggiero and I wrote,
entitled, iAre We Ready for the Next Web?" and
which was published 17 October, 2004. See DM
Review online:

http://www.dmreview.com/editorial/dmdirect/dmdirect_article.cfm?EdID=7548&is
sue=101703

Participants in this effort might want to
familiarize themselves with the specifics of the
article in order to understand more thoroughly
how this article serves as a springboard for both
the Workshop presentation and the potential
Conference presentation.

I am respectfully requesting reconfirmation from
active partners with some indication of how best
to coordinate this effort with each of you
considering your respective schedules and the the
presentation date, December 6, 2003. I am also
requesting from all addressees your comments,
suggestions, issues and concerns, and, of course,
any aid you think you might be able to contribute
to this effort.

Best Regards,
President, Stabourne Communications Design
Executive Director, Humanmarkup.org, Inc.
Co-Chair, Secretary, OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee
Chair OASIS Human Physical Characteristics
Description Markup Language Subcommittee
Member Web Services for Remote Portlets Technical Committee
Chair Web Services for Remote Portlets-Markup Subcommittee
Member OASIS Emergency Management Technical Committee
Member, OASIS Emergency Management Geospatial Information Services
Subcomittee