Subject: Re: [huml] paper: Semiotics and the Description of Stone tools in Ar haeology

Thanks, Len, for the feedback.  You are correct, the author, Dr.
Giovanna Wichkler, is Argentinian (Spanish speaker): see :
http://www.geocities.com/diccio2002/index.html  and/or the mirror
http://www.diccionario-litico.com.ar/  for the website for the "Nuevo
Diccionario de uso para la Descripcion de  Objetos Liticos" (New
Dictionary for the Description of Lithic Objects). What I was seeking
you have provided- a basic review of the article and discussion of the
main points.  There is no "solution" provided by the author; in other
words there is discussion of issues, etc., but no solution for the
problems described, and that is in itself exemplary of "dilemma," a
circumstance without solution.  The Spanish version of the dictionary is
also exemplary of problems within and across languages, cultures,
domains, i.e., the problems of dissemination to broader audiences of
important works. In this case this appears to be exemplary of the
problems the Semantic Web initiative faces, i.e., a Spanish dictionary
that addresses Lithic object descriptions, that does not match
(disconformity) with other Language versions, e.g., English
terminology.  One of the big problems ( more of exception than rule)  I
keep encountering is  inability to accurate translate language-specific
terminology, for example, words that originate in Italian (or other
language) that do not translate at all, well, or easily,  into other
languages, because, 1) the word is context specific to a particular
domain as it fits within the particular society and 2) other contexts in
other domains within other cultures (societies)  have either no need for
such description (i.e., the object type does not exist in the culture)
or there are other term(s) which are not readily translatable to other
languages, without the meaning of the term becoming either garbled dor
lost entirely. One solution that has been in place since lithic studies
were first engaged is to use the native language term, for example use
of the French term for various artifact types or artifact attributes,