Subject: RE: [www-vrml] FW: The Serious Games Summit at GDC, Ben Sawyer interview

From: Eric [mailto:emi@nerim.net]

>Oh ! I'm not the only one thinking so !  ... Thanks Len

Ur welcum!

>Note it makes years I'm shaking the tree ...

The trick is that it may be blooming soon, so the new
picklers are showing up.  However, the guy that wrote
that games article has been at this for awhile.  There
were news stories on his work going back a number of
years.

>See, those people are talking about VR, not about technology

Yep.

>* Internet (as well as related technologies) isn't a goal nor an
>application.

Nope.  It's data plumbing.

>* glittery Xbells and Xwhistle aren't but bells and wistles

Sex sells.  One does have to choose one's level of involvement.

>* VR is about content *first*

Yep.  The R part.

>* tremendous work is to be done if you think *V*i*r*t*u*a*l*
*R*e*a*l*i*t*y*

Right.  The R is expensive but if you have it and can maintain it, it is
better than the abstraction.

>* technology isn't more than a media used to write VR, like paper for books

Yep.  One finds paper in the bathroom.  One finds it on the street.  Content

is much harder to find and much less likely to get flushed.

>: the important thing is the story.

It is The Thing.

>Do VR, think VR, technology will follow if VR is interesting. Oh dear,
looks
>like SVG wants to go eat up VRML ... Tell them there's no market.

I think that is yet another canadian with an inferiority complex showing
up to get the contracts after the dirty work is done.

>Anyone for SGML ? (Serious Game Modelling Langage)

Sure.  If I have to redo the syntax, I use the Declaration file, then
the DTD will parse a pointy.

>Content/application developpers are petrified with technology
>waiting/uncertainty. Each content developper that drops VR is a *big* loss
>for everyone. Each contributor dropping this list (wellcome back miriam) is
>a *big* loss.

I hate it, but my eye is moving toward their children who use 3D every day
and don't accept less.

>Any solution that may shorten technology indecision, and help asap to
>sustain content developpers is an interesting one (thanks Jeff). As a
>content developper X3D isn't a stable configuration (langage, software) on
>which I can sell content on, VRML is.

That's dead wrong and you know it.

>VRML isn't last century technology ... Need some 'French Touch' ? :-)

Nope. Need some American contracts?

>Few years back project now : www.geovrml.com/eng/CIFSC Sorry site isn't
>updated since long: I'm kinda busy making content and starting new
projects.
>Hopefully I'll find the time soon to show up nicer Lego lands.
>Or Cecile's work : http://www.wildpeaks.com/util/shooter_capture.avi that
>Brian pointed out. (Hi Cecile)

I'm always happy to see good 3D content.

len