Subject: n-ary howto: Fw: [protege-discussion] Re: defining n-arityrelations in Protege

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:43:40 +0100
From: "Bernard Vatant" <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
To: <protege-discussion@SMI.Stanford.EDU>

Hi Fusun

What you are calling for can be represented using a "spatial situation"
class where positions of objects are qualified by properties like
"reference object" (card=1), "downSideObject", "leftSideObject"
"frontSideObject" and so on (as many roles as you want). This comes from
the topic map concept of association. "spatial situation" is an association
where objects can play different roles. The association is represented as a
class, and roles as properties on this class [1]

What you would get in OWL is e.g.

<owl:Class rdf:ID="SpatialSituation">
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
      <owl:Restriction>
        <owl:someValuesFrom>
          <owl:Class rdf:ID="SpaceLikeObject"/>
        </owl:someValuesFrom>
        <owl:onProperty>
          <owl:FunctionalProperty rdf:about="#referenceObject"/>
        </owl:onProperty>
      </owl:Restriction>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
      <owl:Restriction>
        <owl:allValuesFrom rdf:resource="#SpaceLikeObject"/>
        <owl:onProperty>
          <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="downSideObject"/>
        </owl:onProperty>
      </owl:Restriction>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
      <owl:Restriction>
        <owl:allValuesFrom rdf:resource="#SpaceLikeObject"/>
        <owl:onProperty>
          <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="leftSideObject"/>
        </owl:onProperty>
      </owl:Restriction>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
      <owl:Restriction>
        <owl:onProperty>
          <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="frontSideObject"/>
        </owl:onProperty>
        <owl:allValuesFrom rdf:resource="#SpaceLikeObject"/>
      </owl:Restriction>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
</owl:Class>

The advantage of this representation is that spatial positions are not
properties asserted on objects themselves, but properties of the situation.
The situation may change with time, but not the objects, so you could
attach time properties to the situation, like one beginTime and one
endTime, as following:

  <owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:ID="beginTime">
    <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#SpatialSituation"/>
    <rdf:type
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#FunctionalProperty"/>
  </owl:DatatypeProperty>
  <owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:ID="endTime">
    <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#SpatialSituation"/>
    <rdf:type
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#FunctionalProperty"/>
  </owl:DatatypeProperty>

[1] See http://www.mondeca.com/owl/owltm.htm