Subject: TC Monthly Meeting Agenda

Title: TC Monthly Meeting Agenda
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to say a little more about the agenda you received or will receive with a the automatic notice of change in in the Monthly TC Meeting on the HumanMarkup TC Calendar.

CALL ACCESS TYPE: MEET ME

# OF LINES: Total=19 Dialout=0 Meet Me=15 Meet Me Toll=4

DIAL-IN NUMBERS:
USA Toll Free Number: 888-576-9014
USA Toll Number: +1-773-756-0201
PASSCODE: 13117

CALL DATE: JAN-21-2004 (Wednesday)
CALL TIME: 04:00 PM EASTERN TIME
DURATION: 2 hr

Agenda:

Accept previous minutes.
Old Business:
Updates on Grant Proposal.

New Business HPCDML OWL Onbtology.
Primary Base RDF Schema.
HumanML OWL Ontology.

We have a full schedule since we are reviewing grant proposals as well as considering new work. The Primary Base RDF Schema in particular needs to be a formal work product, and I would like to discuss using this as a test for a new model for developing a standard. In short, I think we can somewhat telescope the process of building our secondaries by, in essence, reverse engineering them. By that I mean developing an outline or simplified model for one or more projected applications in the application domain of the proposed secondary vocabulary, a formal document, annotating the required element terms/concepts, then extracting those concepts and conducting searches in appropriate search engines using those terms.  An ontology/taxonomy can be derived from those searches which can in turn, be used as part of the documentation and research materials to support the secondaries.

Because OWL ontologies build practical sets of relationships, operations based on the classes/properties of the ontologies can be built and documented simultaneously, as well as providing a built-in capacity to be efficiently searched and incorporated into registries/repositories. This allows for a wide variety of purposes, also, incidentally, allowing for semantic web inference engines to more easily find and use our materials.

Lastly, we will be using the full two hours, using the second hour to continue our grant proposal discussions, and any discussion of possible synergies and liaisons with other programs, projects, potential partners.