Subject: TC Meeting Minutes

Title: TC Meeting Minutes
Here are the minutes for this month's meeting:

January 21, 2004

Teleconference meeting of the OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee.

USA Toll Free Number: 888-576-9014
USA Toll Number: +1-773-756-0201

Roll Call:
Voting Members:

Rex Brooks
Sylvia Candelaria deRam
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
Russell Ruggiero
James Landrum III
Roger Alwxander
Len Bullard
James Landrum

Invited Guest:
Tony Pizi

Minutes taken by TC Secretary Rex Brooks

Meeting convened 12:05 p.m. Eastern Time.

Previous meeting minutes accepted.

This meeting was held on the normally scheduled third Wednesday of the Month.

We had a quorum. As a result, decisions, even somewhat tentative, that are indicated in these minutes should be treated approved unless otherwise stated.

As usual, some of these items were actually discussed in a somewhat different sequence from this  summary.

We began with an introduction of our invited guest, Mr. Tony Pizi, CEO of Level 8 (TM) which provides application integration products and services. A longtime associate of Russell Fuggiero, Mr. Pizi is serously considering the steps of joining OASIS and our TC. He was welcomed all around and we introduced ourselves for his benefit, expressing our best wishes and approval.

We then proceeded to our usual reports of recent activities, updates on work in progress and any other old business that was unresolved.

We began with Russell's brief report on attending Linux World in New York City, where he specifically visited and interacted with representatives of BEA, Oracle, IBM and Sun to see what their plans are for the new Linux Kernel 2.6 which is providing better support for business with its ability to provide for a Service Oriented Architecture, which also aligns well with the on-going development of Web Serivces. Russell said that attendance was up over last year and that there was a lot interest in ERP and CRM.

Rex Reported on XML.gov Working Group meeting he attended by teleconference. This conference was largely dedicated to issues around registries, and registry development, highlighting OASIS's new Standards Registry:

Presentation:

http://xml.gov/presentations/bah/WebServicesRegistriesPilotStatus20031015.htm

Registry:

http://registry.oasis-open.org/index.jsp

There was also a presentation from the OASIS Content Assembly Mechanism TC

http://xml.gov/presentations/webber/oasiscam.htm

The meeting started with a presentation on the Architecture of the World Wide Web:

http://www.w3.org/2004/Talks/0121-ij-xmlgov/slide1-0.html

Len mentioned John Sowa's mailing list, for which he said he would post the url, or e-mail address, and said it was a good source to keep track of Ontological and Knowledge Management issues, and also noted that Sowa uses Peircean semiotic analysis. Len also mentioned that in terms of getting standards adopted, they need to be included in RFPs, particular from governmental agencies in regulatory matter. Such requirements to conform to standards, such as HumanML, when included as line items or feature items is a particularly powerful tool to promote adoption.

Note: due to my tendinitis I am going cut this short.

We decided to review the primary base schema, to remove the unnecessary enumerations and allow it to be a set of categories, in line with ontological and taxonomic concerns. This coincdes with the beginning of work on a primary base RDF Schema to match the XML Schema, which Rex volunteered to initiate by creating a strawman of both. The goal is to create a more consistent, and therefore more useable set. Rex also said he was using Protege from Stanford Medical Informatics as the tool to build these components, also in compliance with the December 15, 2003 W3C relase of new and revised specifications for OWL, the Web Ontology Language, and RDF, on which OWL is based.

We adjourned at 1:25 p.m. Eastern Time.