Subject: RE: [huml] is this a valid prediction?

It is but it is unremarkable as predictions go:

1.  One reason to build a data warehouse is to shield enterprise systems from the Internet.
Putting mission-critical systems on today's Internet is a profoundly risky idea given DDoS.
See replication and isolation:  inside the Intranet and on the Internet.

2.  Using a single application may or may not mean a single database.  Usually it doesn't.
Large system database  builders recognize the need to replicate.  Otherwise, locking
problems are deadly at some n scale (some relational databases are better than others
at locking).

3.  The generalizations in that description are vast.  "The world of tomorrow will have many
more people in it."  D'oh.  Yes, the bandwidth is a problem.  D'oh.

4.  What does 'customized access to data in real time' mean?  In other words, a report
is a report is a report.  A form is a form is a form.   Are either 'customized in real time'
or do programmers customize forms, deliver them, and then the data they 'get' or 'post'
or 'put' is returned in 'real time' minus network hops, minus processing time on the
server, minus traffic conditions, and so on?

5.  Data that is not validated before it is stuffed into a database is dangerous data.
Full stop.  ALL business databases use some form of business rules on the client or the
server or both validate data.   Sometimes they validate it, then pull it back out
and send it to another system (think Federal reporting of crime statistics)
which revalidates it.   Again, d'oh.    So what is the role of synchronization?  I can
guess but enough.

It's valid in the sense that yeah, that's what we do with databases.   How web services
changes that is a mystery.  Wireless is just another device with possibly server-side
XSLT or other means to make the package sent to it light enough to process.

A service-oriented architecture is a big API for exchanging documents be it change
orders, contracts, or geek love letters.   One can adopt an RPC approach to that,
but all the Internet knows is bits on the wire and all the WWW adds are ways to
name those bits on the wire so they can be located, then put, get, posted,. and you
get the idea.   We used to call these Document architectures before that quit being
trendy.   As a thought experiment, try to visualize a set of services that an enterprise
can perform digitally and determine how many of those are not reliant on sending and
receiving documents.   I want to know the time.  Fine.   Does it send me a clock? Does
it send me a timestamp?  Does it send me a message instructing the clock on my machine
to display the time?

The idea behind web services at the base is to expose parts of a database via a set
of ports with named resources such that anyone can write a client to them.  The hope is
that a client can then aggregate information from multiple sources, organizations, etc.
for a specific view.   Think tight fusion from loosely organized sources.  If you think
in HumanML or ontology terms, there are some semantic issues with doing that.

len