Subject: Reminder:Agenda for 10 March 2004

Title: Reminder:Agenda for 10 March 2004
Hi Everyone,

This is your reminder. We are due to meet in an hour, but please join in even if it is late. We need to get back on track.

I'm leaving the Mediation SC Charter/Mission draft in just in case. At the least it should be handier to find your inbox for reference during the meeting.

Hope to talk with you soon,
Rex

The Call-in info is:

Wednesday, March 10, 2003
12:00 p.m. Noon to 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Dial in toll free: 877 950 6921
outside of USA toll: 1 203 277 0324
passcode: 696410

Regardless, I decided to limit the agenda to individual reports and reports on pending subcommittee work, even though James said there is a conflict with his schedule for this meeting date. To accommodate this, we will try to put together a second meeting this month, to discuss HPCDML SC and refining the following first draft Mission and Charter Statement for the Mediation SC.

SUBCOMMITTEE
-----------

Mission Statement:
-----
The Mediation Subcommittee of the HumanMarkup Technical Committee is tasked to produce a Human Mediation Markup Language, HMML. This will include contributions to the Secondary Base Human Markup Language. To do this, the subcommittee will gather resources, identify and incorporate specific existing vocabularies that represent established means for mediation, both in formal legal discourse and in less formal, but well recognized social contexts that can be legally ratified or notarized or can simply allow parties to air their positions with an improved and improving likelihood of being accurately understood and establish relationships between organizations with a vested interest in mitigating conflict.

Subsequently, this subcommittee will support the ongoing development of significant additions or deletions to the Primary and Secondary Base Human Markup Language modules, and incorporations of or from other standards, to ensure that these specifications can be used interoperably to facilitate the effort of resolving conflicts in ways satisfactory to most, if not all participants.

Beyond incorporating legal vocabularies in their proper, societally self-determined contexts, it is considered a requirement to create a standard language for human preferences and interests, cultural and ethnic self-identification, general self-description for temperment and self-description for thresholds for subjective evaluations such as 'tolerance for delay in transaction before cancellation of transaction' that allows for a greater degree of accommodation in normal human social processes such as purchasing decisions for groceries versus purchasing decisions for automobiles, or, accepting unfamiliar religious practices in public as a more conflict-arousing instance.

Assisting successful collaboration efforts with other standards organizations, working groups, technical committees, businesses and governmental agencies by using other standards in combination with HMML is an important component of our mission. This may include encouraging sample implementation projects and efforts aimed at improving conditions throughout the human world where mediation efforts can contribute to such improvements or where improvements are necessary to bring about the conditions necessary to allow mediation to serve the purpose of mitigating conflict and/or encouraging cooperation or collaboration.

Scope:
-----
1) determine requirements for this effort,
2) to organize resources and determine parties interested in mediation standards,

3) establish membership and liaisons between these various parties
4) develop use-cases for HumanML applications applied in mediation scenarios
5) develop extensions to the HumanMarkup Primary and Secondary Base Schemata, and other efforts within the Internet Standards arena, that can be helpful in promoting communications that can facilitate mediation

Interested parties may include the following:
-----
Government agencies -- inter and intra government
United Nations and other International bodies
Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
Corporations -- interested in conflict management within and between organizations
Individuals and Organizations involved in Negotiation, Arbitration, and Deal Making
Political Analysts and Commentators

Values Statement:
-----
Openness, honesty, and accountability of information transfer.

Objectives Statement:
-----
We will create a Requirements and Design Principles Document.
We will deliver an initial outline of resources for this subcommittee.

We will establish relationships with appropriate organizations and government agencies.
Further we will establish guidelines for maintaining and extending the HumanMarkup Primary and Secondary Base Schemata and other efforts.

Membership:
------
Rex Brooks: Chair
Other roles: TBD