Subject: RE: [huml] FW: Social Networks based on the plays by Shakespeare

Title: RE: [huml] FW: Social Networks based on the plays by Shake
This is the other message that somehow got eaten by my inbox, and sorta makes me wonder what else I have missed. Darn it.

Regardless, this is even more interesting and more what I had in mind in my first response. Having a testbed sandbox as well documented as Shakespeare means that the algorithms mentioned could be very well refined and tested before moving on to using with say, KIF, Knowledge information Format and/or KQML, Knowledge Query and Manipulation Language to do the kinds of processing I mentioned in my first response for developing viable metrics to test our HumanML work with.

The PieSpy dowload was temporarily disabled though I could see the samples when I visited it the first time and was just not found today, but I will try again later.

I'll have to pay better attention to my inbox, and keep checking it against useful tools like the OASIS archives.

 * From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>

Although speculative, his follow on was quite interesting too.
Quoted below.

len

"There are all sorts of interesting things that one
could do with such software.

BP> What about a diagram of the relations among words
 > in a dictionary?  (Tony Plate used did something
 > like this in Boguraev and Briscoe, Computational
 > Lexicography for NLP, but I'm not sure about the
 > details of his algorithm.

I mentioned the PieSpy software because it is
open source Java code that could be adapted and
combined with many other kinds of open source
projects.

For starters, you could consider each word in
the dictionary to be a "character" that interacts
with the words in its definition.

For a different perspective on the same words,
you could consider the interactions of words
with other words in their sample sentences.

Once you have the basic program to take
relationships and create diagrams from them,
you can tinker with the algorithms to do
all sorts of tradeoffs.  There is a very
large amount of published literature on
these and related subjects, and you can
try mixing and matching different algorthims
and variations of them.

It would also be useful to package parts of
the PieSpy software with other tools that
are also released under the GPL license.

The nice thing about the PieSpy softrware
is that it does the hard part of creating
the graphics.  It also provides a way
of creating animations that show how the
relationships evolve as you move through
a text -- or as you move through any kind
of source material from a database, a
knowledge base, a dictionary, the Internet,
or whatever.

John"

From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]

Thanks, Len,

This is interesting. Might be a good tool to
analyze projected behavior vs. exhibited
behavior. Perhaps, with algernon helping to
produce rules-based applications working with OWL
ontologies and this to track projected v.
exhibited, we can generate some tracking metrics
to gauge how well models perform in recorded
interactions.

At 2:01 PM -0600 3/11/04, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>FYI.
>
>len

hp.