Subject: XML2004-Proposals4Multiple, Interrelated Presentations

Title: XML2004-Proposals4Multiple, Interrelated Presentations
Fellow List Members:
First let me apologize for the inevitable duplication which some of you with similar interests will find in your inboxes as a result of this post. As the addressee list shows, I am targeting a fairly wide audience for this message. So, if you know of relevant potential participants that might be interested, feel free to inform me of that even if you are not personally motivated.

This is a request for potential partners for  developing some independent but interrelated papers-presentations-demonstrations featuring combinations of standards working together in ways that demonstrate the principle of added value through mutual reinforcement in addition to the interopeability of vocabularies and data.

The motivation for this stems largely from my own current participation in OASIS, as well as past and future participation in the other standards bodies. I hope that by providing information on what I am specifically doing, the more general request for more combined presentations-papers-demonstrations which leverage the overall concept of "Connecting the Dots" will be more clearly understood.

The first venue for my own presentation is currently not determined, since I need to get a better idea of whether this will be a single presentation or two or even three. For me, personally, it will be only one, but there very well may be enough response to this call for partners that it will need to be expanded. This will be made clear momentarily.

Regardless, I will attempt to secure a first venue for a possible early initial presentation and demonstration at a monthly meeting of the xml.gov working group in the range of July-Aug-Sept or one of the several related cross-discipline workshops and conferences currently fueling the Federal Enterprise Architecture Program in general and the Emerging Technologies Components field in particular.

The second venue, which needs abstract submissions by May 7 is XML2004 in Washington, D.C. in November.

I am definitely NOT asking for any kind of one-size-fits-all approach. What I would like to see is simply a leveraging of the interrelated standards available today or those standards close enough to being submitted for approval such that it is not necessary to emphasize that this or that particular specification already has or does not have approval as a standard. I am personally using approved standards because I am emphasizing that point, but I do not want to be misunderstood about this. I think it needs to be shown that more is coming as well as what has been achieved to date. So at least one of these presentations might do well to emphasize the on-going and evolving lifecycle of specifications and standards.

However, let me be specific.

The presentation I am working on and hope to present will be featuring CAP, the Common Alerting Protocol, which OASIS will announce has been approved as an OASIS standard next week.  It would be appreciated if mention of this outside this addressee list were held back until after OASIS issues its traditional press release. This announcement coincides with the yearly OASIS Symposium in New Orleans. The Symposium's theme is "Reliable Infrastructure."

In addition to CAP, which I worked on from the time that the Emergency Management TC was formed, I also will be highlighting Portal-Portlet technology through my similar soup-to-nuts participation in the development of WSRP, Web Services for Remote Portlets, written by the WSRP TC and approved as a OASIS standard last August.

My presentation, paper and demonstration will include participation by (subject to change, with the understanding that 'perhaps' means 'not confirmed') and/or demonstration of:
        * the Interoperability Testing Service of DHS Science and Technology Office's Disaster Management Interoperability Service, DMIS, and how its services are being developed;
     * two mid-tier IT vendors with specific applications employing the specifications being highlighted;
    * perhaps one or possibly more top tier providers of platform level, integrated, web services-based, enterprise-wide IT solutions depending on the usual list of suspects for such collaborations (NDAs,  developer program terms, etc.);
       * perhaps the Web3D Consortium's Medical Working Group or members of such representing themselves or their affiliated organizations;
    * members of the OASIS Emergency Management TC, the WSRP TC, the HumanMarkup TC; and,
   * Humanmarkup.org, Inc., a Non-Profit 501 (c)(3) Corporation.
   * security through SAML. XACML and WSS;
* discovery and registration through ebXML Registry Information Model with
         Registry-Repository and UDDI; as well as,
    * WSA, Web Services Addressing, from WS-I, with perhaps the Basic Profile of WS-I.

This message demonstrates that several other potential partners are also being contacted, so if your work fits anywhere within this framework and you would like to participate, I would appreciate it you to reply to this message (and to have both patience and perseverance since I will be wrestling with the abstract for this over the next week or so).

The current working title of this demonstration, paper and presentation is: "Soup to Nuts, Connecting the Dots for Emergency Responders." It will feature an Emergency Incident(s) Scenario with multiple CAP messages showing some connection among simultaneous or nearly simultaneous incidents as well as some causally-related, subsequent, compounding incidents.

It will show how:
       * Emergency Managers can use CAP in their operations to respond to the emergencies and get primary basic information to its responding personnel in the field;
  * It will show how this can be coordinated with public alerts;
  * It will also show follow-on information provided by third party vendors and participants, specifically to demonstrate a "Common Operational Environment, COE" with various presentation layer components such as:
             - multiple views of maps arranged as overlays on a common base map, (especially using a common emergency symbology currently being developed),
          - 3D conversions of map systems,
                - real time information flow to responders along with real time update of on-scene information from responders quickly but carefully applied to updating the COE.

In addition to the COE, we will endeavor to show a medical informatics system which can aid in remote diagnosis and treatment, and even simultaneous remote chart entry for individuals being treated. This component may not be available in a fully functional application by the time of the presentation and will be indicated in the abstract as an option subject to those conditions.

I will also be adding a brief plug for recruiting participants in the HumanMarkup TC's work on Human Physical Charateristics Description Markup Language, HPCDML Subcommittee, hopefully highlighting some of the work of North Dakota State University's Archeology Technologies Laboratory, http://atl.ndsu.edu through James Landrum's work, and their Xj3D viewer used in the Digital Archive Network for Anthropology and World Heritage, DANA-WH. James is co-chair of HPCDML SC which aims to provide crosswalks and interoperability reconciliation among anatomical systems, archeological and anthropological systems, medical informatics, and other disciplines as well as mundane descriptions of humans by public health and public safety-related agencies and enterprises.

The Theme for XML2004 is "Solution to Syntax." My personal interest is to show everything live online, although the scenarios for CAP will, hopefully, not be live.

To see a 60-slide presentation on an earlier phase of this development given to the Enterprise Architecture Collaboration Expedition Workshop #30 sponsored by GSA  9 Dec. 2003:

http://ua-exp.gov/QuickPlace/ua-exp/Main.nsf/h_Index/B6211857396EBE3485256DF6007B83A8/?OpenDocument

Yes, it is ambitious, but it is time to connect the dots.

Regards,