Subject: TC Meeting Minutes, April 28, 2004

Title: TC Meeting Minutes, April 28, 2004
Hi Everyone,

I apologize for being a bit late with the minutes for last month's meeting, but it served a good purpose since writing it up refocused my attention after two eventful weeks which I will report on in our next meeting. The usual caveat applies: if you see something that needs correcting, please let me know.

Here are the minutes for last month's meeting:

April 28, 2004

Teleconference meeting of the OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee.

Dial in toll free: 877 950 6921
outside of USA toll: 1 203 277 0324

Roll Call:
Voting Members:

Rex Brooks
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
Russell Ruggiero
James Landrum III

Invited Guest:
Rob Nixon

Minutes taken by TC Secretary Rex Brooks

Meeting convened 12:05 p.m. Eastern Time.

Minutes of previous meeting accepted.

This meeting was held on the new normally scheduled second Wednesday of the Month.

For the second time, the overlap with the Web 3D Consortium's Medical Working Group, which James, Rex and Rob follow, caused a few minutes of initial confusion since both are arranged by our contact at NIST.

We had a quorum. As a result, decisions indicated in these minutes are approved.

We began by voting to approve the revised Charter and Mission Statement for the now-approved Mediation Subcommittee and Rex said that he would get the new SC set up, and noted that this will improve our chances for attracting new participation from corproate members due to the increasing need through emerging technologies such as Web Services for standard individual human profiling and preferences markup language standards.

Russell reported on his trip with John Sarazen to the Emerging Technologies Components Quarterly Conference held within the FOSE Conference and Exposition in late March 2004. They met with Susan Turnbull and Brand Niemann as well as attending some of the presentations sessions and reported that the major topics of interest were the registries of components made possible through ebXML RIM, Registry Iinformation Model, and UDDI, Universal Discovery and Description Information specifications. The Disaster Management Interoperability Services program operating within FEMA, which Rex has mentioned in connection with his work with the Emergency Management TC in the context of development and deployment of the Common Alerting Protocol, CAP, was also highlighted in discussions with Susan and Brand who shared moderation duties in the Conference. Information related to these programs was handed out to attendees.

Russell also reported on the XML.GOV Working Group April meeting he attended. The meeting, as usual was chaired by Owen Amber, recently promoted within the administrative offices of the Department of Interior.  Ressell reported that the most recent meetings had highlighted the InfoPath product of Microsoft, which hosted the meeting as IBM had hosted the previous meeting. There were also presentations on using XML within the IRS and the overall progress of adopting XML for the purposes of document and records management.

Russell oncluded his report by saying that our TC and associated efforts are looked to by this group of governmental contacts as a source for bringing possibly important new technologies to their attention in addition to HumanML. Specifically, he noted the the core components in Web Services and CAP are currently hot topics, and that our ability to help bring understanding about these areas through out liaisons are proving worthwhile.

As learned later, due to illness and family events, Sylvia was unable to attend, so we could not be briefed on the recent Python Conference that was held in Washington, D.C. simultaneously with FOSE. We look forward to whatever update Sylvia will eventually be able to supply.

Ranjeeth reported that his contacts may be of assistance in our projected efforts to help members develop SBIR-STTR proposals for the current topics being solicited by NSF, and will be in touch with Educators For Social Resposibility for possible contributions to to the new Mediation SC with the aim of bringing forward creative conflict solutions.

Rex reported that he would be attempting to initiate threads to discuss specific updates to the Primary Base Schema, with the hope that we can finalize this before the summer vacation season exerts its usual affects on all such work, virtually postponing decisions until after September first here in the US.

Rob indicated that he would be unavailable to attend the first window for our May meeting because he would be attending E3 Conference and Exposition in Los Angeles during the week of May 11-16.

In terms of new business, no actions were taken to place new items on which votes would be necessary in May on the agenda for May.

Rex indicated that he would be setting up the new Mediation SC, and that the first order of business for the SC would be to evaluate needs and establish requirements for the work to be done by that TC. He firther indicated that he would specifically be looking at what, if any, terms might be needed in the Primary Base Schema to accommodate building a Basic User Profile that will be useful as the first step beyond simple authentication of identity to add value in security and web services and lay the foundation for preferences within the overal MediationML framework for providing self-definition for Humans and HumanGroups.

Rex also provided some description of the SBIR-STTR Proposals he is working on and which are due by June 9, concentrating on:

*  Immersive Environments for E-Communities in Medicine and Emergency Management;
*  Knowledge Discovery and Visualization, and Feedback for Decision Making; and,
*  Universal Access for Visually Disabled--Speech Recognition and Dialog Managment for KD & Decision-Making.

Ranjeeth asked if Rex had gotten in touch with Mark Frautschi, whose interested coincide with the Mediation SC, and Rex responded that he hadn't received a response, but would try again now that the Mediation SC was a reality.

We adjourned at 1:05 p.m. Eastern Time.