Subject: RE: [huml] Primary-Base-Schema-Revision-1-Emotion

Title: RE: [huml] Primary-Base-Schema-Revision-1-Emotion
Thanks, Len,

I will do that. It is especially important to show this because this is a big piece of the puzzle for moving onward to our secondary vocabularies, and making these distinctions about theories is extremely important.

So as a related issue, do we have any further ideas about how to build the non-normative annex to explain how this works so developers can use it effectively?

In other some of my other work, specifically on the WSRP Primer, it was discovered that it would be helpful to explain the motivation behind some of the choices that were made, such as the need to avoid processing bottlenecks in high volume environments. Similar issues are arising in the developers' forum I an working to build in the Emergency Management TC for CAP implementation issues. It makes sense to me to use those experiences as a guideline to kinds of issues we are likely to run into.

That concern is more likely in the realm of implementing vocabularies for personal information and preferences for personalization and customization of user interfaces than with some of our more esoteric concerns, but the necessity to build bridges to the developer community is pretty clear.

At 9:58 AM -0500 5/20/04, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
I think you may want to show how the original can be derived from the abstract category.  Using
an enumeration of emotional types derived from the abstract type would be a straightforward
application of the category.   So perhaps in a non-normative annex, you might want to publish
that example.   Note in the description that the categories can be used to group 'theories'
of emotions and that this enumeration is an example of such a theory.   Others are possible.

len
-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 10:55 AM
To: huml@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: humanorg@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [huml] Primary-Base-Schema-Revision-1-Emotion

Hi Everyone,

As promised, or threatened, depending on your point of view, I am now starting in on the specific revisions originally suggested by Len a couple of months ago. The first revision is to the complexType Emotion, removing the sequence of enumerated basic emotions and changing the definition to the more basic one that is in line with the policy of making the primary base schema a logically consistent set of categories upon which to build our secondary vocabularies. Note: you may have to widen your email message window to eliminate wrapped lines that get confusing.

Here it is in code form:

Original:

</
xs:complexType>
        <xs:complexType name="Emotion" abstract="true">

<xs:annotation>

<xs:documentation xml:lang="en">

                                Human Emotion

                           A basic set of primitive human emotions; the six basic emotions that have well-documented facial expressions associated with them, to which we can assign strength values in the range we have established as a relative measure of intensity and which we can take as standard primitives are provided.

<xs:sequence>

<xs:element name="sadness" type="boolean" default="true"/>

<xs:element name="joy" type="boolean" default="true"/>

<xs:element name="anger" type="boolean" default="true"/>

<xs:element name="fear" type="boolean" default="true"/>

<xs:element name="disgust" type="boolean" default="true"/>

<xs:element name="surprise" type="boolean" default="true"/>

</xs:sequence>

</xs:documentation>

<xs:appinfo>NONE</xs:appinfo>

</xs:annotation>

<xs:attribute ref="intensity"/>

<xs:attributeGroup ref="humlTemporalAtts"/>

<xs:attributeGroup ref="humlIdentifierAtts"/>

</xs:complexType>

Proposed:

</
xs:complexType>

<xs:complexType name="Emotion" abstract="true">

<xs:annotation>

<xs:documentation xml:lang="en">

                                Human Emotion

                           The affective aspect of consciousness associated with subjective feelings and physiological reactions often preparing the body for expressions of the emotion or emotions being experienced, such as weeping, laughing, or the readiness to defend oneself or flee the source of perceived danger to oneself.

</xs:documentation>

<xs:appinfo>NONE</xs:appinfo>

</xs:annotation>

<xs:attribute ref="intensity"/>

<xs:attributeGroup ref="humlTemporalAtts"/>

<xs:attributeGroup ref="humlIdentifierAtts"/>

</xs:complexType>
As always, the object here is to discuss it and try to get consensus so we can vote on it.