Subject: Beware Lovegate virus WAS: Re: what's up with the virus-likeposting to lists?

James, List members, Karl,

I got em too. And several more. However, they don't come from me. I
get my mail on a Mac and I have run a virus scan recently which
detected no new infections. I am running it again, just to be safer.
These new viruses are most likely the Lovegate virus:

http://internetweek.com/security02/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=20800229

and probably come from the inbox or addressbook of an infected
machine. Since these come from replies to messages so old that one is
addressed from [humanmarkup-comment], it is likely from a machine
which received such emails and have never deleted them, nor replied
to them, since that is the mechanism of this virus. I don't have any
unread email messages from that old humanmakrup-comment list which
OASIS discontinued last year.

I am copying Karl, just so he knows. I don't keep these, but because
I also received an ANTIGEN message from LA County Sheriff's Dept, and
I know who that lurker is, I am keeping that one quarantied and
isolated and I am going to write to him to see if we can back trace
this particular little monster.

However, the modus operandi of this little basturd is that it replies
to unread mail in an infected machine, AND it hijacks address lists
and spoofs those as senders. So it is using two techniques, spoofing
and mass mailing and that makes it harder to fight.