Subject: New OASIS IPR Policy Review

Title: New OASIS IPR Policy Review
Hi Folks,

OASIS mgt. is trying to roll out a new IPR Policy which will require us as a TC to make a determination of the type of policy under which any and/or all of our specifications will be offered . They sent this to the chairs list asking the chairs to pass along the views and decisions of their TC. I was not prepared last week to do this, and you all would not have had enough time to read, absorb and put it into perspective, and neither would I since I have not read it for myself yet, though I have read the comments of various chairs about it. I will include it in the agenda for our next meeting, if we don't end up fielding a s---storm on the list first. Honestly, I would rather not because the fact is, while the big players may have made this inevitable, the cost of trying to implement it will weigh in against even their budgets in any cost-effectiveness review. This is still review period, so get your comments in and I will pass them along to a comments list that has been set up for the chairs the same way we have for public review of specifications.

Here's the url info:

On 9 July OASIS announced to its membership a draft IPR Policy that has been developed by our Board, and requested that members review and provide comment on this draft. (See http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200407/msg00002.html)

There are three documents associated with this member review:
* The document containing the draft revised OASIS IPR Policy is found at
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/7515/
IPR%20Policy-%20Mem%85ne%2025%2C%202004.pdf
* The Transition Policy defining how members and TCs will transition to the
new IPR Policy is found at
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/7514/
IPR%20Transition%20%85%202004%2006%2025.pdf
* A Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document explaining the new IPR Policy,
the reasoning behind it, and the Transition Policy, is found at
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/7554/
IPR%20Policy%20FAQ.pdf