Subject: Fwd: [emergency] DHS Secretary Ridge Gives the Go Ahead to Linux

Hi Folks,

I thought I would pass this along so we can metaphorically break
bread in honor of LAMP to light the way. BTW LAMP means Linux,
Apache, MySQL and PHP. To which I would add, in honor of Sylvia,
Python and make it LAMPP. PP also reminds me of Preferences and
Profiles, as in the Human Preferences and Profiles ML, which I will
propose in the New Business category for our next meeting. In Old
Business we we need to discuss and decide how we want to address the
the OASIS IPR Policy changes iiitiative, (See
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200407/msg00002.html),
updating our charter and deliverables and making ready to welcome
some corporate involvement, through HPPML in the now-established
Mediation SC.That meeting is next week, and, pending confirmation
from Sandy, I will probably be sending out the call info today or
tomorrow, with an agenda.

The article below really tickles me. Of course, I'm in the middle of
writing an XML2004 paper on CAP and WSRP, which will mention some of
these issues, but I also happen to know that we have had to carefully
navigate around some obstacles and avoid some pitfalls between CAP
and GJXDM. Good training for the Mediation SC.

However, be that as it may, I think that the fact that the
infrastructure on which DHS's lead contractor at least does its
development on is LAMP is encouraging.

Of course, that's only sensible since 80% of the web uses Apache and
Apache is free, so that is pretty much guaranteed to be low bid. Of
course, I'll take an outbreak of sensible anywhere I find it.