Subject: TC Meeting Today

Hi Folks,

Here's your last reminder fo today's TC meeting, Wednesday, 25 August 2004, 12:00pm to 01:00pm Eastern Time.

I wanted to add one thing about the IPR item. Those of you who have concerns about releasing your personal work for discussion or use by the TC, you have always had protection in the sense that any potential contribution required notification by you that you had or have a patent or copyright interest in it and that the TC could accept or not accept such contributions based on the TC's policy, within OASIS policy, and that has only changed with regard to OASIS establishing new categories from which the TCs must chose to adopt for their specifications:

1. RAND IPR Mode – requires all Obligated Parties to license their
Essential Claims using the RAND licensing elements described in
Section 10.1. (reasonable, and non-discriminatory roytalties allowed and may require reciprocal license for other contributor's contributions for same TC specification)
2. Unrestricted RF IPR Mode - requires all Obligated Parties to
license their Essential Claims using the RF licensing elements
described in Sections 10.2 and 10.2.1. (royalty-free but may allow further licensing such as reciprocal license from other contributors for their contributions to the same TC specification(s))
3. Restricted RF IPR Mode - requires all Obligated Parties to
license their Essential Claims using the RF licensing elements
described in Sections 10.2 and 10.2.2.
(royalty-free but no further licensing allowed)

This means that for those of you who have IPR concerns about allowing public viewing of your potential contributions, besides the fact that you are establishing your own documented prior art claims against infringement of your work or for your own work being in progress prior to anyone else's IPR claims to the same or substantially the same work, you can now try to get the TC to adopt RAND which would allow you to establish royalty-based licensing of your own work while allowing the TC to use it in establishing a standard specification.

How important that is to you, is, of course, up to you.

I advise we read the whole document into our minutes and decide at the next meeting unless we have a quorum ready to vote on it today.

Dial in toll free: 877 950 6921
outside of USA toll: 1 203 277 0324
passcode: 696410

Agenda:
Old Business
1.Update Report Russell: Collabroation Expedition Workshop #34
2.Update Report Rex: XML.GOV Working Group Meeting
3.Update Report Rex: Mediation SC established
4.Update Report Rex: Outreach-combined with XML 2004 Paper - Presentation - Demonstration
5. Review OASIS IPR Policy (See http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200407/msg00002.html)
6. Update Reports by members

I know it's a fairly long agenda, but please attend if you can.