Subject: August 25, 200 TC Meeting Minutes

Title: August 25, 200 TC Meeting Minutes
Hi Folks,

I apologize for the delay in getting last month's meeting minutes written up. It turned out that writing a conference paper in Docbook for the first time with an initial deadline of Sept. 3, 2004 was a lot more work than I thought, even with a donated Docbook Editor.

As usual, please post any comments and corrections.

Here are the minutes for August's meeting:

August 25, 2004

Teleconference meeting of the OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee.

Dial in toll free: 877 950 6921
outside of USA toll: 1 203 277 0324

Roll Call:
Voting Members:

Rex Brooks
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
Russell Ruggiero
James Landrum III

Observers:
Karl Best
Adan Collins
Kelly Ray

Minutes taken by TC Secretary Rex Brooks

Meeting convened 12:05 p.m. Eastern Time.

Minutes of previous meeting accepted.

This meeting was held on the normally scheduled fourth Wednesday of the Month.

We had a quorum. As a result, decisions indicated in these minutes are approved.

Old Business:

Russell gave a brief report on Collaboration Expedition Workshop #34 on August 17, 2004 which he attended at the National Science Foundation Headquarters in Ballston, VA, a suburb of Washington, D.C. with a Metro Station. This particular workshop was titled: Emerging Technology Innovations in Software Components Development, Reuse, and Management - Applications to Government Enterprise Architecture and featured presentations by:

David Mayo, Vice President, Everware, Co-Chair, IAC EA SIG Components Subcommittee, and Component Architecture for Department of Homeland Security;

Dr. Jeffery Poulin, System Architect, Lockheed Martin Systems Integration, author of Measuring Software Reuse: Principles, Practices, and Economic Models;

and a panel followed by workshops described in a narrative titled Harvesting Best Practices Using Communities of Practice - Enterprise Architecture 2004 08 17 co-authored by Russell available at http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ExpeditionWorkshop/HarvestingBestPracticesUsingCommunitiesofPracticeEA_2004_08_17

Russell pointed out to our observers, two of whom represented Price Waterhouse Coopers as they explore the process of joining OASIS and our TC, that we have been representing our interests in this workshop series for more than a year, making a presentation last December with another scheduled, included within the liaison work we have done with the WSRP TC in October. That workshop will be conducted with Oracle Corp. and will likely focus on using WSRP for developing emerging technologies through programmatic collaboration features in portals.

Karl Best then gave a brief report on the new OASIS IPR policy including how to make comments, what the particular differences were between Restricted and Unrestricted Royalty-Free licensing and Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory Licensing. Karl explained the choices a TC must make following the review period and in the 9-month-long transition to follow.

Rex gave a series of reports, starting with the recent XML.Gov Working Group meeting August 18, 2004 which he attended by teleconference. This meeting featured presentations on various XML Registries, which are available at http://xml.gov/presentations.asp. These included the DoD Metadata Registry, NASA's use of the DoD Registry, The XML Collaborator Toolset from Blue Oxide that can build registries using ebXML Registry Standard, ISO11179, and UDDI, along with the OASIS Content Assembly Mechanism TC work and, the presentations finished with an examination of the OASIS  Registry Project. Rex also mentioned that he was able to connect with the NIST ebXML Registry Pilot Project contact who attended the conference and subsequently agreed to work with the collaboration team on the CAP-WSRP XML 2004 presentation Rex is preparing.

Rex then reported that the Mediation Subcommittee has been established and is now open for members to join, and that this marks the beginning of an outreach effort to attract members to the Mediation SC.

Ranjeeth reported that he and Rex have set up the remote access server for Humanmarkup.org, Inc., which will be the host for the WSRP Portal involved in the XML 2004 presentation and demonstration, and which will then be available for a variety of testbed work for the TC and for other Public Service purposes related to HumanML work.

James reported that he continues working on the Xj3D viewer for his Archeology Technologies Laboratory work, including HPCDML, which was briefly described for the observers to understand its interrelationships with healthcare and medicine in particular--which highlighted a new liaison effort to the new OASIS TC that will be corrdinating a variety of efforts in the healthcare industry and which is named the International Healthcare Continuum TC. James also explained briefly how the Java3D viewer works in relation to the the Digital Archive Network for Anthropology and World Heritage www.dana-wh.net/

New Business:

As part of the review Karl has been conducting under the new distribution of administrative duties within OASIS, we decided without dissent to review our charter and deliverables and put this item on the agenda for next month's meeting.

Rex introduced the topic of starting work on a Human Preferences and Profiles Markup Language within the Mediation SC specifically to build the crosswalk-based language to reconcile and harmonize existing languages and to create any additions that will be determine to be needed following a normal requirments-gathering effort. His rationale for this effort was that applications in general and web services in particular, based on his liaison efforts with the WSRP TC, have arrived at a point in the development of portals, collaborative work flow applications and role-based accessibility needs where standard terminology for preferences as well as digital rights and privileges is required to move forward into the next generation of complexity in various standards.

James suggested that this extra work might be more than we could adequately handle, noting that we have not yet gathered many new members for the HPDCML work as an example.

Rex agreed that this needed to be addressed and that the work probably should not be attempted if we do not have sufficient new participants to handle the work. Rex also mentioned that his initial contacts among OASIS members from member companies within the WSRP TC had received positive responses.

Kelly Ray suggested that we might look at the XLink specification as a means to accomplish reconciliation and/or harmonization in putting together both HPCDML and HPPML, and this was suggestion was welcomed as a good example of the value new members would bring to our efforts.

It was decided to put the HPPML issue on the next month's agenda.

The meeting adjourned at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time.