Subject: [no subject]

--------------090305080901050507030608

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Dear Helen Varley Jamieson,<br>
Thank you for your response, especially the clarifications and
explanations about UpStage. It is never too late to respond to
commentary, especially critical discussions like my previous posting,
and we welcome your input. <br>
It is important to understand the context of my discussion, which is
heavily oriented toward immersive 3D environments and related
interactive applications, and with some emphasis on markup of avatars,
etc., rather than more traditional digital video and webcam and video
conferencing tools (other groups are working on markup for digital
video). It was in that vein that I was not impressed with the UpStage
technologies, which for that domain are very good, and I should have
clarified that in my previous commentary.<br>
&nbsp;Human Markup Language is designed to provide for markup (i.e.,
tagging) of human behavior (speech, body movement, gesture, emotion,
and for example, dance, etc.) as well as the underlying contextual
cultural and social systems, i.e., beliefs and values, socially and
culturally informed behaviors with some emphasis on communication
systems and associated behavior, for example,&nbsp; the wave of a hand
(gesture) in one cultural has a significantly different meaning than
the same gesture in another culture, and it is possible to identify,
describe, and code for each and tag each unique behavior in a distinct
manner.&nbsp; This potentially provides researchers and others with a great
tool set and data infrastructure for analysis of human behavior, with
relevance to all fields of human study.<br>
&nbsp;The OASIS HumanML Technical Committee is focused in several areas at
the moment. Human Physical Characteristics Description Markup (e.g.,
Human anatomy, physiology, and taxonomic markup), Health Care and
Emergency Services Management, Diplomacy and Conflict Resolution, among
others.<br>
For more details, including downloadable presentations and papers, see<br>
&nbsp;the OASIS Human Markup TC web site:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=humanmarkup";>http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=humanmarkup</a><br>
HumanMarkup.org:<br>
&nbsp;<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.humanmarkup.org/";>http://www.humanmarkup.org/</a><br>
Helen Varley Jamieson wrote:<br>
 type="cite">
blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style>
  <title>UpStage</title>
to you, but i was just doing some surfing for references to UpStage
&amp;
came across your post to the huml list (below). i want to respond to
your disappointment that UpStage isn't an immersive 3D application -
it was never intended to be such. it was developed as a 2D interactive
application, a venue for creating and presenting interactive live
performances via the web, &amp; that is what it does. we've
deliberately kept it low-tech for two reasons - one is that we like
low-tech : ) &amp; the other is that we know lots of people who are on
less-stable dialup connections &amp; we wanted to make this accessible
to them. in my experience, 3D doesn't necessarily mean a better
experience, either technically or creatively.</font></div>
can't respond there &amp; have never asserted that UpStage fitted with
it - can't seem to find mmuch about it on the web site
...</font></div>
new in the technology side of UpStage, what we are doing is offering a
new &amp; creative tool that is web-based &amp; very accessible.
during this year, UpStage has been used with great success by schools,
theatre groups &amp; other organisations, &amp; i've given many
presentations &amp; workshops at universities &amp; festivals (theatre
&amp; new media). sometimes i am surprised that people are so
impressed by it - especially when i'm presenting to a new media
audience to whom this is obviously pretty simple stuff. but our
'low-tech wizardry' seems to be a new approach to the medium &amp;
people find it really engaging &amp; fun.</font></div>
-
we have an open session tomorrow (wed. 6th) - times on the web
site.</font></div>
"cyberperformance" project,<br>
based on the information available online (including links to
theatrical<br>
truops like Avatar BodyCollision,&nbsp; Bats Theater, etc.) . The
"graphical<br>
avatar" is very low tech 2D comic-strip-like imagery, and based
on the<br>
event sessions demo, the delivery/interaction is little more than
a<br>
web-based (IRC) chat interface than anything else- certainly not<br>
immersive 3D in any sense of the term. There is no active webcam<br>
interface at this time, so I can't comment on that, beyond noting
tha<br>
this looks like a common streaming (low bandwidth) application
with<br>
associated chat interface- again certainly not a 3D interactive<br>
environment, and certainly nothing new in that technology arena.<br>
Regardless, at the very most, this is just hopeware, and I don't<br>
comprehend how this fits with HumanML as so very briefly described
on<br>
the web site and associated links pages.<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:cognizor@cognizor.com";>cognizor@cognizor.com</a> wrote:<br>
&gt;here is a toolset<br>
&gt;related to huml applications for sure<br>
&gt;and it's open source!<br>
&gt;NB<br>
&gt;SC<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Stuff: Artists bring drama to Web ["A group of New Zealand
and international artists, with backing from government agencies, have
launched a live performance venue online at<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.upstage.org.nz";>www.upstage.org.nz</a>.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Upstage combines Web cams, graphical avatars, and text chat to
provide a 'cyberformance' where performers and viewers worldwide can
be involved through their Web browsers. Upstage uses open-source
software development technologies including the programming language
Python. Software will be available as free downloads."]<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Incorporates an ongoing-commenting functionality thru a chat
app:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;see link from "rialto" cinema, citing a&nbsp; Dominion
Post article copyrighted:<br>
&gt;<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2779582a28,00.html";>http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2779582a28,00.html</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ;););) blessed are the geeks -- for they shall inherit the source
code :):):)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the
roster of the OASIS TC), go to
&gt;</font></div>
  <x-sigsep></x-sigsep>
  <pre>--
  </pre>
catalyst<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
  </x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </x-tab><br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:helen@creative-catalyst.com";>helen@creative-catalyst.com</a><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
  </x-tab></font></div>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--