Subject: TC Meeting Minutes for January 26, 2005

Title: TC Meeting Minutes 01-26-05

Hi Everyone,

This was the busiest holiday season in my memory, but that’s past now. I should have gotten the minutes out sooner, but my G4 Mac bought the farm. There’s nothing quite like having a third of one’s capacity disappear, but given the real disasters we have witnessed lately, it’s less than nothing. I’m working on replacing it.

Still, no excuses, though. As usual, please post any corrections or additions, and I will revise the minutes.

Here are the minutes for this month's meeting:

January 26, 2005

Teleconference meeting of the OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee.

Dial in toll free: 877 950 6921
outside of USA toll: 1 203 277 0324

Roll Call:
Voting Members:

Rex Brooks
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
Russell Ruggiero
Dr. Sylvia Candelaria De Ram
Michelle Raymond

Minutes taken by TC Secretary Rex Brooks

Meeting convened 12:05 p.m. Eastern Time.

This meeting was held on the fourth Wednesday of the Month.

We had a quorum. As a result, decisions indicated in these minutes are approved.

Old Business:

1. The minutes of the previous meeting were not accepted because Michelle did not receive them and was aided in finding them in the email archives. Accepting the minutes was postponed, and Rex said he would find the time to get the specific documents for the minutes uploaded to a Minutes Directory in the Documents Directory and make certain that the public can find the the minutes on the public page.

2. We started with reports of current activities, beginning with Michelle’s news that she has persuaded Honeywell to join OASIS and fund some of her activities, specifically in the area of personalization of alerting, which is very good news for the Mediation SC she will be chairing as it moves forward with work on the Human Personalization and Preferences Markup Language, starting with a survey of existing standards and current work underway in relation the the concept of “Person” as the major significant subset of “Human” for our purposes.

Ranjeeth  then reported that his work at the Fund for the City of New York (FCNY) has provided him with the opportunity to work with the Microsoft Sharepoint Server product, which is the Portal Equivalent in the Microsoft platform, and within which WSRP is a Web Part. At present Microsoft is making this product available to Non-Profit Corporations at a significant discount, and this in turn provides him with the opportunity to spend time on the Public Service Portal that Humanmarkup.org, Inc., which helps support our work in this TC, is developing as a public testbed for applications using HumanML in Emergency Management and other related fields.

Ranjeeth said that he has not heard back from Susan Turnbull of the General Services Administration who is responsible for producing the Collaboration Expedition Workshop (CEW) series where we have made presentations related to HumanML in each of the last two years, about his proposal to collaborate with Ken Sall of Silosmashers on a conferencing feedback prototype or proof of concept application using HumanML. Rex indicated that he would write to Susan about this to see if it can be re-energized since this is an application that would substantially demonstrate the capabilities HumanML is aimed to provide.

In a follow-up on this situation, Russell reported that he was working with Jay Peltz to write about the inter-agency work of:

         the CEW;

        the XML Community of Practice (XMLCoP) chaired by Owen Ambur of the Department of the Interior for whose group  Rex previewed a presentation planned for March 16, 2005 with Plumtree Software Inc. of the Portal mentioned above       at the XMLCoP’s regularly scheduled monthly meeting the previous Wednesday, Jan. 19, 2005; and,

        the Semantic Interoperability (Semantic Web Services) Community of Practice (SICoP) chaired by Brand Niemann of         the Environmental Protection Agency.

Russell said that Jay is responsible in part for organizing and coordinating the CEW series, iwhich the SICoP co-sponsors. So we will approach him about the conferencing feedback proposal, as well as renewing the conversation with Susan.

Russell also updated the group on his activities supporting the work of the Chief Architect’s Forum (CAF) of the Chief Information Officer’s Council (CIOC) of the Federal Government’s Architecture and Infrastructure Committee (AIC) by sharing with chair Ira Grossman the article he and Rex have written on the interrelated topics of Enterprise Architecture and Service-Oriented Architecture which has some import for the Federal Enterprise Architecture Framework (FEAF) and the five reference models that have been produced for the the FEAF. This is significant because this work includes an extensive glossary of Important Terms which have been used in conjunction with other sources for the glossary produced for the CAF.

Since this article by  Russell and Rex is intended as a reference work, including historical context, this is significant, and it is noted that this article is the basis for a book proposal. It is worth noting that our primary purposes with HumanML have always been targeted through our publishing and presentation efforts, from the International Council of Museum’s Symposium in March of 2003 to these latest efforts, so it is appropriate for us to recognize when these efforts begin bearing fruit., through the CEW presentations in December 2003 and October 2004 through XML 2004 in November 2004.

Rex reported that the brief 20-minute overview presentation of the full presentation he is planning with Plumtree for March was received well and provoked an article in Government Computer News

http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/34898-1.html

Michelle reported that she is still working on the proposed changes to the Mediation Charter and had some suggestions for the overall HumanMarkup TC charter, as well. These were generally well regarded. She said she would try to have them posted to the email list by the next meeting for discussion and approval.

In particular she wanted to refine the statements regarding fidelity of human communications to say “…enhance the fidelity of human communication toward enabling cooperation consistent with safeguarding individual information.”

In our values statement she expressed her opinion that we consider adding language about “openness” and include language about confirming information ownership, management and accessibility, to which Sylvia asked for a clarification of what was meant by “openness” and “accessibility.”

Item 3 on the agenda, discussion of the Mediation SC Charter, was therefore deferred to the next meeting, when we should have the actual language proposal before the committee.

Item 4, discussion of the proposed revisions for the primary base schema unification of XML and OWL/RDF was postponed because Rex has not finished a draft for that yet.

Item 5 was discussed in the context of various of the previous discussions, with the upshot being that Michelle will liaise with the Extreme Markup folks, Russell will liaise with Ian Jacobs of W3C, Sylvia will try to re-engage Roger Alexander, now that a more computer-science-oriented set of tasks is planned for Human Personalization and Preferences ML work in the Mediation SC and the HPCDML work is also likely to solidify, once we reconnect with James and the Web 3D Consortium’s Medical Working Group, as well as through Rex’s work with the International Health Continuum TC and the Emergency Management TC. So we have multiple outreach efforts underway, and Rex also said he would announce the effort in the WSRP TC and will draft an announcement that we can discuss in the next meeting.

The meeting adjourned at 1:10 p.m. Eastern Time.

Rex Brooks
President, CEO, Starbourne Communications Design
Executive Director, Humanmarkup.org, Inc.
1361-A Addison
Berkeley, CA 94702
510-849-2309