Subject: RE: [wsrp] custom user profile items broken?

Would it be possible to work up a set of types, along with with any
different datatypes other than named strings, based on what implementations
are being considered? I could take these into the HumanMarkup TC's
Mediation SC Personalization and Preferences ML effort and suggest that it
start with some basic needs for user profile types. I think it would be
wise to consider that there are a wide variety of needs for user profiles
beyond WSRP-specific requirements, and it would be better to have these
considered together in one TC rather than in sidebars in various other TCs.
This need not prevent this TC from standardizing extension types, which
could later be mapped back to any new standard for user profiles.

Note, one reason we chose Personalization because it is etymologically
related to the concept of 'person,' which aligns it with HR-XML's usages
for 'person,' as well as others, such as Rights Languages, that will have
their namespaces imported into this ML We chose Preferences likewise, and
we also wanted to avoid explicitly using the word 'profile' which might
have led to referring to or naming 'profiles of profiles' for various
subsets and supersets such as the myriad possibilities inherent within the
class of 'employee.' We are currently fine tuning the subcommittee charter
and conducting the surveys necessary to begin work on harmonizing and/or
reconciling existing specifications from domains as diverse as
e-health-records (EHR), banking and finance, emergency management, human
resources, marketing research, demographics, law enforcement, etc.

As for the specific arguments in this discussion, I think we need to
specifically spell out that NamedStrings can be used in extensions, i.e.
carry it in the UserProfile structure. It will be interesting to see what
turns up in that field when WSRP 2.0 starts being implemented.

At 01:49 AM 2/4/2005, Richard Jacob wrote:

>Andre Kramer <andre.kramer@eu.citrix.com> wrote on 02/04/2005 09:43:19 AM:
>
> > Option (b) would break compatibility with anyone who took the advice
> > you summarize as (4) - moving named strings from extension elements
> > to a new element.
>well, it wouldn't be moving, it would be just an addition.
>This would be more convenient for developers.
>Another issue here is:
>How can we ever use NamedString in the extension since the Extension type
>only allows namespace=##other ???
>The recommendation we give in 4 doesn't work at all. Every vendor has to
>develop its own NamedString.
>With tha lack of type declaration possibility we loose interoperability..
>
> >Maybe we should just state that custom profile
> > items are indeed usually carried as named strings in extensions.
>well in general I would agree, but then the extension is kind of limited to
>contain named strings for this purpose to be interoperable (with the
>remaining "little" namespace=##other issue above)
>In that case I think it would be more convenient to have this directly in
>the UserProfile structure.
>
> > And
> > this would also lead the extension mechanism to be open to non-
> > string types without requiring (a).
>don't get this. If the extension is used with a custom type, without the
>possibilty to declare it, it's what ít is: an non-interoperable custom
>extension like any other one.
>In that case 6. doesn't make any sense at all.
>
> > However, guidance on using fully
> > qualified names to avoid potential classes would help as always.
>definitly.
>
>cheers
>Richard

Rex Brooks
President, CEO, Starbourne Communications Design
Executive Director, Humanmarkup.org, Inc.
1361-A Addison
Berkeley, CA 94702
510-849-2309