Subject: Revised TC Meeting Minutes 06-22-05 Re: TC Meeting Minutes06-22-05

Title: Revised TC Meeting Minutes 06-22-05 Re: TC Meeting Minutes
Here are the amended minutes:

HumanMarkup TC Meeting June 22, 2005 Minutes

Roll:
Voting Members:
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
Russell Ruggiero
Sylvia Candelaria de Ram
Rex Brooks

OASIS TC Administrative Advisor
Mary McRae

This was our first meeting in several months, owing at least partly to a family emergency with which co-chair Rex Brooks has been coping.So, it was inappropriate to approval previous minutes at this time.

An agenda was posted, and just prior to addressing it, Rex announced that James Landrum III had withdrawn from our group, requiring Rex to assume the chair of the HPCDML SC, which has also been in a similar hiatus.

Given that, we started by acknowledging Mary McRae's acceptance of our invitation to work with us on extending our outreach to attract new members and re-energize our TC.

We departed somewhat from our agenda to address thismost pressing need, inviting Mary to advise us on how we can best work with her and the OASIS administration to further this important work.

Mary expressed the opinion of the OASIS administration team incuding her and Jamie Clark that they can help us and direct publicity efforts our way if we have committee approved drafts which can be used to direct public interest to as a resource.

Rex informed her that we do have one piece of work which is undergoing revision at this time and which does meet that requirement. It is the Primary Base XML Schema which we approved as a Committee Draft in March 2003.

Further, Rex reported that he had submitted a new revision to the document repository for both the XML Schema of the Primary Base and the RDF-OWL representation of the Primary Base just prior to the meeting. It is in the Drafts Folder.

Sylvia offered her rewrite of the Primary Base Schema (which was available
as v. 0.92 on the OASIS site in the Human Markup Language branch of
Documents).  This work, dubbed v. 0.93a, was sent out email as reply to
addressees of the meeting's agenda.  Hopefully this will get us to
a more unified conceptual approach.
       More specifically, the re-write constitutes a re-framing of the
approved huml term definitions to make them more systematic.  Informed
particularly by the CIDOC in-practice museum artifact and library
tags and by ontologies developed by logicians, the idea is to move further
toward a primary base of XML tags for human markup that is [relatively]
logically complete, coherent, and whose terms are at comparable levels
of detail for expanding into application areas that take "humanness" into
account.
As such, in the re-write some of the forensic-detail terms were
subsumed, logic foundation terms added, a concretized replacement term
suggested for one that has been problematic. (The original can be derived
from the new one as data accumulates if desired.) Term sequence was re-organized so later terms build upon prior ones. Specific suggestions for expanding from beyond a base term when developing applications were added.  Old and new phrasing mix in the definitions, but layout is almost the same so hopefully can be dropped directly into the XML-definition and OWL ontology (as well as RDF) definitions.

The primary base revision was necessitated, Rex reminded us, due to the fact that a number of sequences and restrictions containing simpleType element examples within complexTypes had been included. These were included only for the purpose of demonstrating the intent of making the primary base a core profile consisting of categories for which futher work in the form of secondary language specifications for those categories or for importing existing specifications for inclusion in the overall structure of the Human Markup Language Family would be added subsequently.

Regardless, the document which Sylvia had sent to Rex was discussed and preliminary consensus appears to be that we will use it as the basis for moving forward. It has been uploaded to the Document Repository in the Drafts Folder.

1.Rex reported that a new Pilot for the Semantic Interoperability Architecture effort in the Semantic Interoperability Community of Practice has been undertaken through Humanmarkup.org, Inc. That will install and maintain a portal with the capabilities presented during the last two years. This concept is embodied in the SWANS presentation that has been uploaded to the HumanMarkup TC Document Repository in the Presentations Folder. This includes material presented over these last two years at Collaboration Expedition Workshops in Washington, D.C. and in XML 2004 last November. The hope is that by having a publicly available website that demonstrates the functionalities of personalizable information sharing and emergency alerting, we will be better able to explain our work and the direct benefits it will provide the public and the business world.
2.Rex is assuming the role of chair for HPCDML SC. Rex said he would contact Michelle to see if she is still willing and, more importantly, able to take on the chair of the Mediation SC.
3.We decided on continuing work on the revision of the Primary Base as our deliverable with an end of year target for delivering the combined XML and RDF Schemas and the OWL Ontology.

On a further note, for the purpose of providing a White Paper for HumanML, Rex asked Ranjeeth if he would consent to having the work he has been doing with Jay Peltz be used for that purpose, and Rex said he would ask Jay as well. Ranjeeth assented, and Jay has expressed his interest, both in having the work used for that purpose as well as finding a publisher, which Russell said he is working on, and Russell also said that the paper in question is to be the basis for a presentation to the Collaboration Expedition Workshop, carrying on our association with that InterAgency effort being conducted through the GSA Office of Intergovernmental Solutions.

Rex said he would put together a package of the materials for which he has permission, which would then be sent to Mary for the purpose of helping us attract additional active members
As always, please sent corrections, notes, comments.

Suggested revision of phrasing, adding more detail:

CHANGE FROM THIS PARA:

Sylvia reported that she had taken that work and updated it with a
non-normative overview that goes beyond the work Rex had done in
reorganizing it in a more comprehensive way to achieve a more unified
conceptual approach.

The primary base revision was necessitated, Rex reminded us,

SUBSTITUTE THESE, THEN AFTER INSERT CONTINUE WITH MINUTES AS-IS:
[...]

-------
last sentence ;)
        attract more active members -> attract additional active members

-------
question

where on the OASIS site are
     the presentations made in the last 2 years' Collaboration Expedition Workshops?

the references/papers from the CIDOC presentation?

      the infamous over-claim article, its critique, other such?
     Are they referenced?
    What are the references?  Eventually we may need to cite and rebut.

========
SC

President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design